Book 5⌇37. Bloodline

Chapter 37 ∣  Bloodline

-Maverick

Rook extended an arm, motioning toward the front door where Lucette stood, "It'll cost you your blood magic."

"My blood magic?" Well, that wasn't too bad, considering I never used it. I refused to. If that is the price, I would have to pay in order to save Eris, I would. Oh, so I guess you're going to ask why I have blood magic? Well, some hunters are born with the innate ability to control blood, bending it to their will in order to use it as an unstoppable weapon. My grandmother was once a hunter who possessed this trait, she was then turned by my grandfather, who happened to be the vampire king at that time.

My mother was born with blood magic, startling the world as the first pureblood vampire born with this weapon. Well, after meeting my father, I was conceived...which apparently was never supposed to happen, as I was foretold to either save this world, or destroy it, becoming the most powerful being to ever come into existence. Sure, I would have been born with the blood magic trait, yet when I was in my mother's womb, I siphoned her own magic for myself. I couldn't control it, that wasn't my fault. I never wanted to have it to begin with. I'd give it up in a heartbeat if it meant I could be accepted.

Before I was even born, my father had forsaken me...blaming me for taking away my mother's power. It wasn't my fault...

The control I had over my blood magic, was pathetic and my temper just as bad as my father's. Yea, like any father and son, we had our disagreements and arguments would escalate further than they should, but it was the moment I had enough of his rules and judgment, that I attempted to kill him...

Yes, I regret my actions every day. I turned against my father, the vampire king...

I became the rogue pure blood "prince".

"Yes," Rook replied, allowing me to step in front of him, making our way up to the door as Lucette backed through it and turning to the right. As I stepped into the grand lobby, the dark marble floors with crimson flecks reminded me of the luxurious that I once was a part of, my eyes drifting to catch every detail of his home. I was thankful that my childhood friend had heard me out, knowing that if I cared this much about someone, then he truly knew I was changing.

After being on your own for so long, you do find enjoyment in the little things. My favorite had always been, kill as many humans as possible without getting caught. Guess who's still standing? I upped the ante one time...killing an entire coven when I had barely turned twenty-one. I wanted to test my limits and see just how dangerous the words had foretold about me.

The horrifying truth, every bit of it was right. I slaughtered the coven within six minutes. The true sickening terror? I liked it and had no remorse for my actions. Not a single care in the world for murdering my own kind.

You're really going to give it up? Just like that?

Oh, the joys of having a blood bond through family ties, it never dissolved like when you were cast out of a coven.

Of course, Lucette. I have no other choice and I'll be damned if I let Keegan do as he pleases with her. She's already been through enough pain and suffering for a lifetime. She deserves love and a life without deception.

I glanced at Lucette and she raised an eyebrow.

Deception? You're one to talk. I'm going to take a gamble and bet you haven't even told her about who you truly are. If she knew, do you think she would continue to stay within the same proximity as you?

I don't care. I'll worry about that after I tear out the throat of that disgusting incubus.

Oh yes, like I haven't seen those looks before.