Chapter Twenty-Three

“They say that on a day as clear as this one that you can see five different counties at the top.” Niall swung the camera around so it was fixed on my flushed face. “We are climbing one of the highest points in Ireland.”

I gave the camera a small wave and attempted to slow down my heavy breathing. I’d never been much of a climber; I’d learned that when Niall and I had scaled Bray Head. Niall, on the contrary, was bouncing around on the steep incline with ease, as if he’d been born to climb mountains.

I wiped the sheen of chilled sweat from my forehead that I’d acquired despite the cold Irish air.. A dull ache had arose in my throat and I wasn’t sure exactly why. I sighed watching Niall cartwheel around—not even remotely out of breath, regardless of the fact that he’d spent the first twenty minutes of our hike chatting happily to the camera, filling it in on what we’d been up to.

Niall stopped cartwheeling for a moment to observe me, and I tried desperately to find a non-embarrassing excuse as to why I had stopped. “Erm, just looking at the scenery.” I mumbled, fishing my camera out of my backpack. I fervently snapped a few shots of the sloping hills and choppy waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Tiny white sheep trickled down the sides of the descending peaks. I zoomed in, capturing the fluffy animals while my breathing returned to its regular pace.

I turned back to the jagged path and took a picture of Niall standing at the top of the hill. He had used the extra time to stare out over the sea, his head tilted to the side and an appeased smile printed on his face. A harsh breeze ruffled through the hair on his head and bit at his already pink cheeks. I couldn’t believe that he was actually mine.

I stuffed my camera back into my bag and took off to where Niall stood. He gave me a smile that caused the glowing scenery to pale in comparison.

“’Ere, I’ll piggyback you the rest of th’ way.” He turned and hoisted my fatigued legs onto either side of his hips.

My arms tightened around Niall’s neck and I brought my lips to his ear. “You’re the best, you know that?”

He chuckled in response and continued up the hill. “Look,” he pointed to an off-white trailer parked in the parking lot. “We can get ice cream there. And then we’ll hike the rest of the way to the top.” He gestured to a rock path that led us up a small mountain. I slid off of Niall so I could see a bit better, my eyebrows creasing in conversation.

He planted a swift kiss on my nose. “You look very pretty with your cheeks all flushed like that.”