Chapter Eleven

I knew it was stupid, but I simply couldn’t shake the change in atmosphere between Niall and I this afternoon. Even now, as we lay in the pitch-black living room of his cousin’s cramped apartment, it felt weird.

“Niall?” I called into the darkness timidly. I wasn’t sure if he was even awake.

“Yeh?” His voice drifted up from the floor where he lay, tangled in a sheet. He courteously offered me the couch when we had gotten home. Even though I immediately protested, he refused to take no for an answer. Now, I was cuddled into a couch cushion and he was flat on the cold floor, probably twisting the muscles in his back.

Before I formed a response to his tired ‘yeh’, I thought back to earlier this afternoon. Niall and I had never revisited the topic of him calling me hot, and we simply put aside our differences, acting as if the first half of the day never even happened. It was much nicer that way and we had a load of fun at the zoo. I, however, never quite forgot the icy conversation; it was always playing at the back of my mind.

“What was your favourite part of the zoo?” I blurted out, making myself self-conscious. It sounded like something my grandmother would ask.

“I really loved the giraffes.” He chuckled, tiredly. “I’ve had an obsession with the things since I was little. What about you?”

“Zebras.” I rolled over onto my side, sneaking a peek down at him as I twisted around.  His eyes were focused on the ceiling, but I pulled the cozy sheet closer to my body nervously anyway, remembering earlier this afternoon.

- - -

“Shit. I forgot pajamas.” I said.

“It’s okay, you can have this shirt. It’s my cousins.” Niall tossed me a large gray sweatshirt. “You can keep it; he has plenty o’ ones just like it.”

I thanked him and slipped it on. I didn’t really have anything to wear on the bottom so I decided to just slip my shorts off once I was under the blanket.

“Turn around,” I yapped, snickering as Niall obediently turned onto his other side.