Chapter Nineteen

“This is it,” Niall whisked his hands into the air while he took a seat on the cushions of the DART train. “The official start of our adventure.”

“Why?” I asked, plopping down next to him. “I thought Dublin was the start.”

Niall shrugged. “I guess, for you. I’ve been there a billion times before. And we were staying in Matt’s flat so it was more like a little visit, rather than an adventure, you know? Now we’re on our own. No one to feed us or house us. Just me and you.”

I thought about this for a second and decided Niall was right. We had always had somewhere to return to at night; someplace where we knew there would be food and a place to sleep. Who knew what was going to occur now that we were pushing past the safe enclosure of the Ireland that Niall knew.

“Where are we going?”

“Bray,” Niall pulled his backpack onto his lap. Niall had asked me if he could put all of his belongings into my bag. I had surprisingly managed to jam it all in but now my bag looked ready to burst at the seams. Niall’s bag seemed fairly full too, so I wondered what he’d kept in it.

“Bray?”

“Yeah, the wonderful Bray.” Niall raked his fingers through his blonde hair. “It’s like down the road. We won’t be here for long.”

Soon enough, the train halted at the trim village and Niall and I exited into the town.

“Welcome to Bray,” Niall held his arms out and spun in a slow circle, the overstuffed bag on his back wobbling between his shoulders. “It’s one of the oldest seaside resorts in Ireland.”

“You sound like a walking travel guide.” I teased, resulting in him sticking his tongue out at me. I swept back my thin curls into a ponytail, considering it was fairly hot where we were. The salt in the air pricked at my skin, reminded me of a time that didn’t seem as long ago as it actually was. My family used to spend every summer at the Jersey Shore with my cousins up until a couple years ago. It was what I looked forward to all year when I was a kid, and when happiness was found at the bottom of my ice cream cone. I felt a hint of sadness for what used to be before I pulled myself back to the present and saw Niall staring at me.

“What is it?” he asked, thoughtfully.