Chapter Four

It didn’t take long to get to Chlo’s house from Niall’s—they were practically neighbours. When we got home, Chloe stormed childishly inside, slamming her bedroom door behind her. I always knew she was dramatic, but this was taking it too far. Aunt Shannon’s face had molded into a grimace, but she still tried to be as cheerful as possible as she helped me unload my bags into the guest room. I appreciated the unsuccessful attempt at enthusiasm. Once we quickly finished, Shannon disappeared in the kitchen to prepare some tea.

The good thing about Shannon is she doesn’t hover, despite her constant hope and optimism. She left me alone to unpack and get settled and it was... refreshing.

I wasn’t sure what to do once I unloaded all of my belongings. I know that in their current states that neither my aunt nor cousin would notice if I left the house—however, I wasn’t about to go explore the city on my own.  I settled for just sightseeing around the house instead.

Shannon’s house was small—it resembled more of a cottage than a house, actually. It was framed with grey stone bricks, and was very pleasant to look at. Even though it was only a single story tall, it was much bigger than my house back home. Shannon lived in a rural area, they didn’t really have any neighbours that lived near them—Niall’s house was the closest house to them, and it was almost a ten minute walk.

A battered metal gate caged off the yard, allowing access to a thin cobblestone path that guided you to the porch. The house was equipped with grey shutters and a cute garden that bloomed with beautiful red roses, and sharp green blades of grass. The damp lawn was bouncy underneath my sandals; it gave me the essence of floating.

I found myself fighting to notice how the shade of the front door was almost identical to the blue of Niall’s eyes. The front door was similar to one you’d see in a farmyard; there were two separate openings. The top opening was left exposed, letting the aroma of fresh baking bread waft into my nose. It was calming; it made me think of when my mother and I used to make bread together when I was younger.

The sky was a grim orange, splashed with a bunch of other pastel colours. It hinted as if a storm might be on its way. I quickly slipped through the side gate, revealing acres of eloping, grassy fields. I could barely make out in the distance the outline of a few farms, and maybe some cattle grazing. Another stone path led away from the cottage, towards a forest in the distance. I hopped along the stones, making it some kind of game to avoid touching the cushioned, dewy ground.

I finally made it to the patch of woods, and just stared off into the distance for a while; sort of like they do in old, silent films. The sun was just setting; it hung over the trees stunningly. I wondered if anyone enjoyed looking at scenery as much as I did.

I walked far enough to see a break in the woods, where the stone path was slowly swallowed by the uneven ground. Suddenly I reached a decrepit, centuries old graveyard. Green branches engulfed the graves, giving me an eerie feel. It was still beautiful. An old swing hung from a large willow tree, and I instantly could see myself reading, writing, or just being here. Ireland was just so perfectly beautiful. My mom couldn’t have been anymore right.

Satisfied with my exploration, I waded my way back through the stone path and thick wood, and into the house. I locked myself in my room and started to type an email to my best friend, Sophie. She was somewhat of a worrier, and if I didn’t respond within the next few hours of her email, she’d think I was dead, or something of the sort.

**

Soph—You honestly wouldn’t believe this place. The scenery is absolutely picture perfect, like something you’d see in the Hunger Games, or another movie similar to it. It’s greener then you can imagine—greener than I could even begin to explain. It’s stunning.

Okay, okay, now that we’ve got the ‘boring’ shit out of the way, I’ll answer your questions, that I know you are dying to hear about.

Yes, yes, yes. I, Brooke Hayes, actually met a cute boy. I know you are probably rolling your eyes right now, and I know you told me to keep my mind open when it comes to romance. ‘Having a summer love will help erase all of the memories of Jake’, blah blah blah. But Soph, the thing is, I don’t think I can do it.

YOU are the strong one. YOU are the one that gets all of the boys. YOU are beautiful, brave, and confident. But me? Soph, those words would never be able to describe me. I’m not sturdy enough to be able to do that.

Plus, the boy happens to be my cousin’s ex. It’s honestly insane; what’s going on here. It’s practically one of the huge soap operas that we used to watch at home. I finally understood the saying ‘The tension was so thick, I could cut it with a knife’. Most awkward car ride... EVER.

I’ll have to give you all of the details later, but here’s a quick description:

I was at the airport waiting for my aunt, and she was late as per usual, whateverrrrr. But yeah, so this guy came up to me and I was being short with him but then he called me pretty. It was nice. I think he was gonna offer to be my tour guide, but then my aunt finally showed up. So we were all hugging, but then Chlo wouldn’t hug me back. Let’s just say, if looks could kill, Niall would’ve been a dead man (Side note: Niall’s the boy, ironic how he has one of my fav irish names). So anyways, Shannon was oblivious to Chloe’s lethal glares and was all like ‘Oh Niall, baby, we miss you, come visit!’ and then she offered him a ride. Chlo looked like she was about to burst.

We all piled into the car and Aunt Shan was trying to make conversation but then Chloe suddenly accused Niall of, and I quote: ‘Hitting on gullible, credulous tourists like he does every other Sunday of the year...’ Whatever part of me that was starting to like him just died right then and there. It was pretty blatant that he didn’t actually like me; he must call every teenage girl pretty. But then he said that wasn’t why he was at the airport, and he just seemed so sincere and honest... I kind of felt bad for him. We dropped him off and Aunt Shannon stuck up for him, then Chloe finally exploded. She freaked out and screamed, and accused Shannon of taking Niall’s side. She said that he cheated on her every weekend for two years. Chlo locked herself in her room and I can hear her screaming through the walls. I don’t want to be in the middle of this; dinner is going to be EXTREMELY awkward...

And as for Niall, I just got a vibe off of him, and I wanted to believe him with all of my heart. He was so innocent and peaceful; he didn’t seem like the type who cheats on their girlfriend. And my aunt DEFINITELY wouldn’t have told Chloe to give Niall another chance if she didn’t think he deserved one. If there’s one thing she hates, it’s fighting. She would only ever argue if she truly believes it’s the right thing.

Well, this is none of my business. I doubt I’ll ever see Niall again anyways, but he was nice... and cute. I’m here to relax and just let go of myself; not worry about charming boys. Sorry Soph, I really don’t want a summer fling. Thanks for your lovely advice, but until I step foot on my home turf, I’m saying bye to boys. Yup.

Love you so much,

Brooke