Chapter Six

I traced my nails nervously over the keyboard of my laptop. Niall was online, but as usual, I was letting my logic take over. What if he changed his mind? What if Chloe found out how unfaithful I was being and murdered me in my sleep? I mean, what if Niall really did spend all of his time hitting on girls at the airport? If only I knew the answers to these questions, then maybe I could make a final decision.

A felt chills run down my spine as I thought back to my ex-boyfriend.

“You will never find anyone as good as me. You filthy bitch.”

Yes, those were his final words to me, before I left him for good. Suddenly my fingers were flying across the keyboard typing a message to Niall before I even had the sense to realize what I was doing.

Um, I think I need a tour guide. Think you could help?

Jeez, I even sounded awkward over the computer. I guess Niall didn’t care because my Facebook dinged back almost immediately.

I would love too. Meet me in the graveyard in ten minutes.

I read over Niall’s message anxiously. The graveyard seemed too close to Shannon’s house to be seeing Niall. I doubted I’d be able to relax the entire time.

The graveyard is pretty close. Are you sure Chlo won’t notice?

I tried to nonchalantly hint at my unease, hoping he’d find another place for us to meet.

Don’t worry. Chlo’s terrified of the graveyard because of a stupid prank we played on her when we were kids. She won’t go near it.

That finalized it. I quickly got dressed and scrawled out a quick note to my aunt to be left on the kitchen table. I told her I was going exploring—which wasn’t technically lying. I snuck out through the backdoor and disappeared into the mess of trees.

- - -

Finally, after following the stone path for what felt like forever, I spotted Niall swaying back and forth on the rope swing. He was whistling; a tune I didn’t recognize. I crept up to him nervously—I was still unsure of what exactly persuaded me to come here. He was a total stranger, and the logical side of my brain was definitely against it. Perhaps it was his long eye lashes that framed his blue eyes perfectly. Or his knock-out smile.  I snapped out of my daydream quickly as I watched him run his fingers through his messy blonde hair.