Chapter Twelve

“Hey Bee! Bee! Brooke!” I briskly awoke, blushing in surprise when I found Niall’s face only an inch from mine. He beamed down at me. “Good morning.” His wintry cool breath wrapped itself around my face and hair.

“H-hi.” I yawned and rubbed my eyes until they managed to open. Niall gestured to a plate full of waffles that were messily strewn with blueberries and syrup, as he started to back out of the room. “Get dressed, eat quickly, and meet me out at the park out front in twenty minutes.” I hadn’t noticed Niall’s hand on my shoulder until he gave me a quick squeeze and disappeared.

I flung my legs over the side of the couch, cracked all of my knuckles—a routine I’d developed since I was six. I stretched to the ceiling and flew to my bag to get some clothes. I chose my loose white tank top paired with my jean jacket, black belt, and light jean shorts with holes. I didn’t bother with any jewelry other than my signature peace necklace.

I tied my converse and hastily combed through my hair with my fingers. I gulped down two of the mouth-watering waffles and snuck outside to find Niall.

He was sprawled out on a park bench, looking super comfortable and happy as he talked to a girl with long, flowing red hair.

I stood nervously as I debated on crossing the street. I didn’t want to interrupt them, but I wasn’t sure if I should wait until the girl left either. Niall luckily saved me the trouble of an awkward situation when he met my eyes from across the road. His face brightened as he waved me over. While walking I heard him introduce me as his new travel buddy. I chuckled, my eyes drifting to the girl’s face, watching her smile. She said it was nice to meet us both and then she took off down the park’s cemented path.

“Who was that?” I took a seat beside Niall. “She was gorgeous.”

“Meh, not my type.” Niall shrugged, brushing it off. “Anyway, today,” he unfolded the map that had been resting on his outstretched thigh. “We’re going to see the castle. Sound good?”

“I thought stupid questions weren’t allowed.” I stuck my tongue out, teasing.

He cocked an eyebrow. “What do you—” His dimple appeared when he realized what I meant. “Oh, you think anything I want to do is good? I like that.”

“Me too.”

- - -

“Remember when I said I liked having you in charge?”

“Yeah?” Niall mumbled as he buried his face in the map.

“I’m taking it back.”

Niall didn’t seem to hear me as he was muttering to himself, “I coulda sworn we’ve already passed this building. Everything looks so goddamn similar.” Niall moaned and then crumpled the map coarsely. One swish of his arm later and the ball of paper went tumbling into the nearest trashcan.

“Screw it. Let’s just walk.”

And that’s precisely what we did. We travelled through the city, making our own route, seeing the town in ways we never would have it had simply been a quick destination on a tour. We wandered through shops, took silly pictures with statues, raced each other on the cobblestone streets, and ate crisps like no tomorrow.

Then, we magically stumbled upon the castle without even realizing it.

“And here, m’lady is the Dublin Castle. It’s been here for centuries. It’s a real beaut, isn’t it?” Niall said proudly.

I stared in complete awe as Niall pointed out the flawless gardens that shaped the gates. He then told me about how the Irish Crown Jewels had been stolen only a hundred years ago from the Bedford Tower.

“Did you ever dream of being a princess?” Niall asked. He led me to sit on the grassy grounds outside of the castle as we passed the bag of crisps back and forth to munch on the remaining scraps.

“Every girl wants to be a princess.” I answered truthfully, lapping up the chip that had fallen onto my thigh, remembering Niall’s rule of no wasting food. “It’s practically coded in our DNA.”

“Really?” He looked fascinated.

“Well, yeah.” I bumped my shoulder with his. “Just like how every boy wants to become a superhero and save the world at one point in his life.”

Niall chuckled, emptying the last of the crisps into his mouth. He then plopped his tongue out and made a face at me, revealing the crumbs that clung to his tongue.

“Ew,” I batted his face away gently, laughing. Niall put his tongue back into his mouth and gave me a small smile, ducking his head shyly so that his blonde hair fell towards his eyes.

“You can still be a princess, you know.”

“I just need to find a prince.” I murmured. “And you can still save the world.”

He picked up a small stone and tossed in the air, watching as it fell silently onto the grass. “I just need to find someone it’s worth saving for.”

Niall propped himself up, dusting off the back of his grass-covered shorts. “Smile.” He said, holding up my camera. He snapped a quick shot of me sitting in the grass, my ankles crossed delicately in front of me and my arms stretched behind me as I sprawled out on the grass. My head was in its natural tilt, causing all my curls to cascade down my back. My light eyes were full of happiness and life, something that they hadn’t had in a while. Niall handed me back my camera, smiling.

“You look perfect.”

I stood up, looking down in an attempt to hide my blush. “There’s no such thing as perfect. Perfection is a myth.” I countered.

“Yes, but beauty is in the eye of beholder.” Niall smirked cockily. “Beat that.”

Instead of replying, I just grabbed a chunk of grass from the lawn and threw it at him. It hit his shoulder and exploded into a bunch of little dirt fragments. Niall started laughing. “It’s on now, Bee.” He growled playfully.

Niall ran towards me and then grabbed me, flipping me upside down. I kept squealing in his long arms as he sprinkled grass all over my face.

Fifteen minutes and several grass stains later, we were asked to leave by security.

“I feel pretty rebellious right now.” I whispered, giggling. I was surprising even myself. I usually refrained from doing bad things and breaking the rules. I had to admit; it was fairly exhilarating. “I’ve never gotten yelled at by a security guard before. That was kind of scary but kind of fun at the same time.” I quickly looked over my shoulder at the spots of grass we had unknowingly ripped apart on the formally uniform lawn. “I do feel bad about killing their grass though.”

“It’s just grass, it’ll grow back eventually.” Niall snuck a peek at the ruined grass and angry security guard who was waiting for us to leave. “But it does look pretty bad.”

Out of nowhere, Niall reached over and brushed his hand gently over my cheek. I exhaled in shock and he pulled away quickly, an awkward silence falling on us.

After a few painful seconds, Niall cleared his throat. “You had a piece of grass stuck to your face. Sorry,”

“It’s alright,” I slowly reached up and touched the spot where his fingers had left electricity burning on my skin. “It’s just that I’m not used to anyone besides my ex touching me.” Niall’s face saddened and I knew he could hear the unspoken words in my sudden silence.

“And I’m still not used to you.”

- - - - - - -

OMFG GUYS I FINALLY UPDATED. HOLLA AT ME GIRL!!! Please let me know if you’re enjoying the fic so far, I love hearing from you guys and just know that your suggestions spark my inspiration! Thankssss xx