Chapter Three

I never noticed how small Aunt Shannon’s electric blue van truly was until I was actually inside the confined space.  I started feeling a bit of claustrophobia as Niall and I jammed ourselves beside each other in the backseat, the luggage stuffed into the trunk. After a few stray elbows to gut later, Niall and I were both settled, a tad uncomfortably, in the backseat.

I watched as Chloe climbed into the front seat of the car, catching a quick glimpse of her model-like structure. Chlo’s eyes were sharp, and cold as ice, her pinkish lips pressed into a thin line. She clearly was not impressed with situation, and I felt as if everyone else in the car knew exactly why except for me.

I peered up nervously into the van’s top mirror, my fleeting eyes searching for Chloe’s. Her jaw was clenched tightly, showing the muscles in her pastel skin, her arms crossed devilishly across her chest. She refused to meet my eye contact, looking forward at the road for the remainder of the drive. The tension in the car hung over everyone like a thick fog.

If I were to be completely honest with you, I’m afraid of Chloe. Well, more petrified of her, actually. I knew under her thin, frail skin, she could be really mean. I was positive it would be in my best interest to stay on her good side, or else she’d make my temporary living here a huge hell hole. No matter how much I would like to think the opposite, I definitely needed stay away from Niall. Family always comes first, I suppose.

I slid over in my seat away from Niall, pushing up against the cold glass of the window. I failed at being nonchalant because Niall saw my actions and the hurt that flashed through his eyes caused me more pain than I could imagine. He eventually curled up away from me, as well, and an awkward silence fell over the van.

Finally, Aunt Shannon was brave enough to break it. “So, Nialler, what were you doing at the airport on this fine Sunday afternoon?” She sounded so obliviously cheerful, watching as emerald green farmer’s field passed along beside the van.

“Hitting on gullible, credulous tourists like he does every other Sunday of the year...” Chloe hissed, and I knew the words ‘gullible’ and ‘credulous’ were obviously directed to me—not exactly the kindest description. Either she was very good at covering it up, or she was still just as emotionless as I remembered her.

Niall sighed sadly, and leaned forward. He reached out to touch Chloe’s arm, but decided against it as she shot him a glare full of hatred. His hand hung awkwardly in the air as he said, “I don’t go to the airport to hit on tourists. I just go, alright?” His tone suggested to me that he and Chlo had already had this conversation.

“If you don’t go to pick up innocent girls, then why can’t you tell me why you’re always there?” Chloe pleaded, surprising me with the weakness she showed. “Please, tell me.”

“I can’t alright? I just can’t.” Niall shifted his body, staring blankly outside the window. He clearly was thinking about much more than just the landscapes passing by outside.

The car was silent again until Shannon pulled to a stop outside of a cute, little house. Niall climbed awkwardly out of the van, all eyes staring him down. “Thanks for the ride, Mrs. M.” Niall looked as if he were about to say something else but he bit his tongue and turned around. He slipped noiselessly through the gate that led the way to his porch. As the van started to pull away, Shannon and Chloe turned their attention back to the road, but I couldn’t tear my eyes away from Niall. Suddenly, he looked back and caught my eyes, mouthing the words, “I’m sorry.”

Before I even had the time to respond he turned around and hurried inside. I sat shocked in my seat, knowing that I was the only one who saw that, meaning the words were evidently meant for me.

Shannon hummed along as we drove down the cobblestoned roads, her hands tapping the beat to a familiar pop song. The fact that she listened to that kind of music was purely comical.

Now that Niall had vacated the car, I could stretch out more comfortably, but for some reason I felt as if he never left. His presence seemed to still be palpable. The heaviness hanging over the three of us—well, at least Chloe and I—was undoubtedly because of him.

“I always liked that boy.” Aunt Shannon finally spoke. “He is such a polite, young man, constantly charming, and if I do say so myself, very attractive. I think you should forgive him, Chlo.”

Chloe shifted her body to shoot hate daggers at her mother, as if Shannon had just suggested something next to impossible. Chloe’s mean side was definitely starting to shine through. “Mum! He practically cheated on me every weekend for almost two years, how in the hell am I supposed to let that go? Shows how much of a great mum you are, siding with that bloody liar over your own biological daughter!” She screamed, fury boiling in her veins. “I hate you!”

I sat awkwardly in the backseat, attempting to give my aunt and cousin some privacy by pulling out my iPod. Even with Coldplay cooing gentle notes into my ear, the angry voices of Shannon and Chloe still echoed through the small van. So much for the relaxing, drama-less vacation I’d planned.