54

"I swear to God if you pick up that chip and put it back down again I'm going to shove it down your goddamn throat." Brad frowns at me.

I put down the chip again and roll my eyes at him.

"You're such a gentleman." I sarcastically remark.

"I never claimed to be." He grins but quickly frowns again when he notices my unamused expression. "Seriously, what's wrong with you? Do you not like it here? I thought you would..." He trails off.

"Would you stop jumping to conclusions all the time? I love it here." I smile at him reassuringly and look at my surroundings again.

I really do love it here. The walls are a warm beige colour with small pieces of modern art hanging on them. The unusual lights hanging from the ceiling make for a homely atmosphere, along with the friendly staff and comforting smell of coffee. Not to mention the variety of people in here.

That's one of my favourite things about cafes or coffee shops, people come here for different reasons. My eyes glance at the busy, suit clad people typing furiously away at their laptops, never taking their eyes away from the screen when sipping from their coffee. The young teenage girls sitting in the corner giggling, blatantly gossiping about some high school drama. The hectic mother getting her coffee to go, a small child clutched to her chest and a slightly older boy holding onto her other hand with wide, innocent eyes. The elderly couple reading a newspaper near the window, their hands holding each other's across the table. A small smile reaches my face before I look back at the frowning face opposite me. We must look so strange to the people around us.

"Nothing's wrong." I sigh, not wanting to cause a scene, which I knew Brad would have no problem doing.

"Well clearly there is." He scoffs. "If you don't tell me I'm going to have to drag that waitress over here and force you to tell her." He threatens me with a smug smile, knowing that's the opposite of what I want.

"Fine." I groan. "I don't like vinegar." I scrunch my nose up at the vinegar soaked chips in front of me.

"Really?" He asks curiously, I nod in silence before dodging the drenched chips and cutting up the bacon on my plate. When I look back up at Brad he's calling over the waitress.

"Brad!" I quietly hiss at him, not wanting anymore attention dragged towards us. He looks at me and I shake my head furiously, silently pleading him not to make a scene.

The waitress reaches our table and wipes her hands on her apron.

"How can I help?" She asks brightly, her wide smile brightening up the entire cafe. Her curly, brown hair is piled up on top of her head in a messy bun that somehow looks put together and her small dimples in each cheek form as she smiles. She is very pretty.

"It's nothing, I'm sorry." I smile at her, hoping she'll leave before Brad can speak.

"Ignore her." Brad says rudely, ignoring my warning glare. "She doesn't like vinegar, can she have a new plate of chips without it?" He demands more than asks.

"Certainly." She smiles. "Sorry about that dear." She sends her smile to me and leaves the table.

"Brad." I whine, taking a bite of the bacon that's been sitting on my fork for god knows how long.

"What?" He shrugs and eats his own food.

"You were so rude." I roll my eyes at his obliviousness.

"I asked didn't I? I could have sworn at her and told her she's shit at her job." He grins at me.

I shake my head whilst laughing because I know he would have done that. He was actually quite polite for Brad's standards. The waitress returns after a few minutes with a small plate full of chips and her bright smile.