•Chapter 49•

[Dalton]

After the music in our schools event Jaiden has been more hesitant to come back to the studio. After we found out who was in the top 5 (La'porsha, Trent, Mackenzie, Sonika, and I) Jai only comes to the studio if Sonika isn't there. Today is the day we find out who is in Top 4 which could just be the scariest results so far. This afternoon the Top 5 are all doing Ford commercials and interviews. A very exhausting process.

"Trent you're up," a director said who was interviewing us for the show.

Mackenzie and I are currently just hanging out waiting for our turn to be interviewed. I lay on my back with my eyes closed hoping to get some sleep.

"I'll be right back I need food," Mackenzie said walking away.

Suddenly as he walks away I hear the sound of heels walking over to me. I keep my eyes close even though the sound of the heels get closer.

"Hey slugger,"the owner of the heels said.

"Hey Sonika," I yawn.

"I can't believe we find out who is in the Top 4 tomorrow."

"Mhmm," I say in a monotone voice.

"Come on Dalton don't give me the cold shoulder," she says moving closer to me, "just because Jai hates me doesn't mean you have to."

"I don't hate you," I say keeping my eyes closed even though I feel her get closer again.

"Dalton look at me," she whines.

I huff as I sit up. I open my eyes and notice she is a foot from my face. I scoot back and rest my elbows on my knees.

"Dalton give me a chance. If you would hang out with me you'd find that I'm not as bad as you and Jaiden think I am. Let's just go for dinner or something."

I roll my eyes, "fine but I pick where we go, it's not a date, and Trent has to come with."

"I'm fine with that," Sonika smiles, "when?"

"When Trent is done with his interview."

-----

When Trent finishes his interview us three get in a car and drive to a arcade/pizza joint that is 30 minutes from the studio. We all get out and walk into the black building with splashes of neon color.

"Oh my god guys we have to play that," Trent says pointing at the air hockey table.

"You're on Harmon," I tease as we all go over to the bright green table,"you wanna play Trent first," I ask Sonika.

"I don't know how to play," Sonika smiles, "teach me?"

"Sure," I hesitate, "so basically you just take the round thingy... That's the scientific term," I laugh, "and you just hit the thing and try to get it in Trent's goal. Easy."

"Fun," Sonika says taking the puck and paddle from my hand.

I stand on the side when I feel my phone ring in my pocket. I take it out and see Jaiden picture. I smile when I remember I'm with the person Jai dislikes most.

"Hey you," I say walking toward a quiet area.

"Hey. How's the interviews going?"

"Oh they went great."

"What time are you coming home because your mom asked me to dinner and I wanted to know if you wanted to go?"

"My mom asked you to dinner and didn't tell me," I smile thinking of the idea of two of my favorite women being as close as they are.

"Yeah. I love your mom," Jai giggles.

"You two should go. It'll be fun besides I'm with Trent," I say avoiding saying Sonika is there.

"Sounds good. Tell Trent I say hi okay?"

"I will."

"I love you," Jai says making me smile.

"I love you more."

We hang up the phone and I walk back to the air hockey table and stand next to Sonika. I laugh as Sonika scores a goal on Trent. I feel something on my hand. I look at my hand and see Sonika's hand in mine. I pull it away and put it back in my pocket but Sonika just looks at me with an innocent smile.