•Chapter 17•

[Dalton]

Jai and I get into her car and drive to the theater. Jai drove so I could practice one more time. I've never been this nervous about performing. Something about it being American Idol makes it different. Jai gives my hand a quick squeeze as we pull into the parking ramp.

We walk into the building holding hands I look around and see at least 150 people. I look at Jai's beautiful soft green eyes as she gives me a smile and holds my one hand with both of her hands. I walk up to the check in counter and grab my ID.

"Alright D this is all you," Jai smiles at me.

I itch my arm looking around at the people. I'm feeling really self conscious of... Well everything.

"Hey. Look at me," Jai says putting her hands on my biceps, "you got this. Don't psych yourself out. You are so talented and that's why you're here to prove that this is where you belong."

I smile and give her a kiss. I pick up my guitar and go to the call room to practice. I open the door and see some familiar faces. I walk over to an empty chair next to a guy roughly me age with brown hair, glasses, and a guitar.

"Hey man cool if I chill here," I ask pointing at the empty chair.

"Oh yeah for sure man," the guy says gesturing to the chair, "I'm Mackenzie Bourg."

"I'm Dalton Rapattoni. It's nice to meet you."

"You too. You nervous?"

"Honestly very much so."

-----

[Jai]

After waiting for it to be Dalton's turn to come on I went out to the vending machine hoping they'd have some kind of food. I haven't eaten anything all day. I walk over and see a girl with bright green hair putting a dollar in and groaning as the machine wouldn't take it.

"Hey need a little help," I said walking over.

"Oh yeah sure. Thank you!"

"No problem," I say straightening the bill and putting it in the machine.

"Are you competing?"

"Me? No. I am here for a... Umm... Friend."

"Oh who's your friend?"

"Dalton Rapattoni."

"Oh my god Dalton is here? Him and I have been friends for years! Wait then you must be Jaiden Armstrong! I'm Jaci!"

"It's nice to meet you Jaci! Yeah that's me," I laughed, "Dalton is down in the call room if you want to go see him."

"I just might have to later. I have to I'm on soon. It was amazing to meet you!"

"You too," I say grabbing food and hurrying back to my seat.

I get to my seat just in time. Once I get to my seat I see the first group of ten come out. I look for Dalton but he isn't in this line. After about four lines it was finally Dalton and Jaci's turn. I bit my lip watching Dalton come out on the stage. I get my camera out and take a couple pictures to send to Dalton's parents.

Once Dalton was finished I ran out from my seat and out the back door toward the call room. I open the door that leads to the call room and see Dalton walking with a guy with brown hair and glasses. I run and jump into Dalton's arms giving him a hug.

"You did awesome," I say as he puts me down and smiles.

"It felt awesome! Jai, this is Mackenzie we met in the call room."

"It's nice to meet you," Mackenzie says shaking my hand.

"You did awesome as well," I say to him being friendly.

"So what's the next round?"

"Group rounds," Mackenzie sighs.

"Oh this is going to be fun," I say sarcastically.