•Chapter 38•

[Jai]

"That is a really cute picture," Sonika says in a surprisingly sweet tone.

"Thanks. Lee took it yesterday," I hesitate.

"Are you gonna be here for Top 14?"

"I plan on being here until the competition ends."

"Oh," she says in a disappointed tone. There's the Sonika we all know and love.

I notice Sonika staring at Dalton's ring that he gave me. I look up at her and move my arm back behind my back. She looks at me with a face as if I just threw her dog out a window in front of her.

"Is that Dalton's ring?"

"Oh.. Uhh yeah," I say awkwardly.

"Why do you have it," she spits out at me.

"He gave it to me as a promise ring," I awkwardly smile.

"Well the only thing he can promise you is that I'll be with him soon enough," she says looking at the doors as the open.

I hurry out of the elevator as Sonika walks the opposite direction of me. I keep looking back as I walk to the Starbucks across from our hotel. All though Sonika has never physically attacked me I still feel like every time she comes near me I'm gonna get karate kicked in the throat.

[Dalton]

It has been three weeks since we all went to Disney land and boy is it days like this that make me wish we could live in that day forever. Jaiden has been sick for the past three days which has made me feel incredibly guilty leaving her there to be by herself all day.

She also has been sleeping on the couch for the past three days because she is afraid of getting me sick. Bless her heart. It's killed me to not be there to help her which has made this week's performance even more stressful.

This week we find out who is in the top 6. This week I'm singing Radioactive by Imagine Dragons which is something I'm not too sure about. Today being performance day means I'm gonna have to rehearse for the whole day and not see Jai until I get home. I drive to the studio and come into the building with my head down and go straight to the Blue Room.

"Hey D," I hear a voice say from behind me as I get my guitar Jai gave me out.

"Hey Sonika," I huff tuning my guitar up as she sits next to me on the couch.

"You okay? You seem stressed."

"Yeah. I'm just really nervous about this week's song. I haven't been as focused this week."

"Why not," she asks in a surprisingly sympathetic tone.

"Jai has been sick for the past couple days and I worry about her. Plus I haven't done as much with this song as I would have liked. It's just kind of been crazy. Plus Jai won't let me stay and take care of her because she just wants me to get ready for this but I want to make sure she's okay," I ramble before she cuts me off.

"Dalton. I can go check on her if you want."

"Really?"

"Yeah. You are obviously really worried about it. Besides I have some time to kill. Give me a list of things and I'll get them for her."

"I can't ask you to do that," I say moving my guitar so it's on my back.

"Well you didn't. I offered."

"Sonika thank you," I say hugging her, "that means a lot to me. I'll text you a list of stuff she likes and I'll pay you back tonight."

"Alright I'll go right now," Sonika says grabbing her purse and the money.

"Thank you again," I say handing her the money as she walked out the door.