•Chapter 36•

[Dalton]

The second the doors open I feel a huge rush of emotions. Mainly fear and excitement. Suddenly the lights go dark signaling someone is getting saved for wildcard round. I feel my palms get sweaty when suddenly I hear my name.

"Oh my god that's me," I accidentally say out loud walking over the my seat.

I go and sit down when I feel a vibration on my thigh. I look around to try and find Jaiden and her family but my eyes are failing me. I look down at my phone and smile seeing Jaiden's name.

Jai ❤️: AHHH so proud of you!

Me: Where are you?

Jai ❤️: Backstage. I'm going on soon so hush I'll talk to you after the show :)

After about 10 minutes we get more people in the chairs for the Top 14. Soon should be Jaiden's performance and I could not be more excited. I've only ever seen Jaiden perform one other time and that was at least 5 months ago.

Suddenly the stage opens giving Jake the signal to start the song. Jakob starts playing the drums, then Joey begins to play his electric, then Jaiden and Billie come on the stage from opposite sides. Jaiden on base and Billie on electric while Billie starts singing the words to Basket Case. As Billie sings I can't help but find myself singing along.

Once Basket Case ends Jaiden switches instruments with Billie. Jaiden walks up to the front standing microphone stand. Jai begins playing the first couple chords of Wake Me Up When September Ends and then begins singing in her beautiful voice. Just like the rest of the audience I was hypnotized by her voice. I'm snapped out of my trance by the loud cheering.

"Does this mean we made it Hollywood," Joey teases.

"Talent runs so high in your family," Keith says in amazement.

"Thank you Keith! I'm very impressed by these kids I got here," Billie says patting their heads.

As they exit the stage, I quickly run over and hug the whole family. Jaiden grabs my hand and gives me a kiss on the check. I quickly go back to my spot anxious to just get through tonight.

-----

The very second the cameras turned off Jai came running over to me, Avalon, Trent, Jenn, and Mackenzie. Jai immediately jumps into my arms for a hug. I return the hug picking her tiny body off the group.

"You guys did awesome," Jai says hugging everyone else too.

"Not near as good as you," Avalon said hugging Jai, "it's so amazing how talented your family is!"

"Thank you," Jai smiles wrapping her arms around my stomach.

"Hey kids," Joey yells as he walks toward our little group.

"Hey Joey," I say high fiving him, "you guys did awesome."

"Thanks man," Joey says as Jake walks over.

"Jaiden. Dalton," Ali calls from behind us.

Jaiden takes my hand and we walk over to her mom and dad standing at the end of the stage.

"We are gonna get going what's your plan," Ali asks as Billie talking to Ricky.

"We are gonna be leaving soon too probably," Jai smiles resting one hand on my forearm and the other holding my hand.

"Alright well make sure you get a good night sleep. Love you both," Ali says kissing Jai's forehead and the top of my head.

Once Jai's family left Avalon, Trent, Mackenzie, Jai, and I all went to go hang out in Trent and Mackenzie's room. As we go in the room, Avalon and her friend Ameet go straight to the piano.

Mackenzie hops straight into bed while Trent hangs out by the piano with Avy and Ameet. Jai and I on the other hand go the the one chair in the tiny kitchen. I put Jai on my lap while she throws her arms over my shoulders resting her head on my shoulder. I smile as Avalon, Ameet, and Trent harmonize while Jai shuts her eyes and keeping her head on my shoulder.