Day 2: The Key

Day 2: Write a scene involving a simple item that triggers a memory.

As the light drizzle of the September day became increasingly less light, I was thankful that I had left my apartment with an umbrella. It would really suck to be out in this weather without any shield from the insistent flow of water. All I wanted to do was find some place to crash until the rain passed, but just as my incredible luck should have it, I was now stuck at an intersection, watching cars zoom by and spray pedestrians with streams of water.

"Uh, excuse me?" a small voice suddenly said as I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned around, only to face a girl. She looked to be about my age, maybe a year or two younger. In her hand was a pale pink umbrella, and she wore an oversized knit sweater with jeans and rain boots. But what really intrigued me about her fashion choice was the item that hung loosely from a chain around her neck. It was one of those old skeleton keys--the type that only had a few ridges in it, and came with a large loop at the end.

I recognized that type of key well. Too well. I had been given one similar to it just months prior, before my entire life essentially crumpled before my eyes. And to think--it all started with a key...

My girlfriend Claire and I had been exploring Europe for the summer, just bopping around from country to country. Claire liked England and France the most, though I preferred Italy, due to the familial connection. It had been a great summer, filled with so many adventures and laughs and kisses. We were visiting France one more time before going back to the States, because Claire didn't want to leave the content without seeing the Eifel Tower at least twice.

As destinations went, the Eifel Tower was probably on the top of the list for tourists to see. It was also one of the most magical and romantic places I had ever been to. Before I came, I wasn't sure what all the hype was about. It was just another iconic building, what could possibly be so special about it? And then, I actually went there with Claire. It was indescribable. There was this overwhelming sense of fantasy and adoration that encompassed the entire visit. Then again, I was with Claire, so I always felt like that.

During our second time going to the landmark, it was more familiar to us. Claire still thought the world of it, and so did I. We were there at dusk, making the entire experience even more remarkable. The lighting was set perfectly, and we just sat down on one of the surrounding lawns, admiring everything about the experience. Claire was lying in my arms, and I felt like the happiest guy on the planet.

"I love you, Claire," I had told her with so much sincerity because it was true, and what girl didn't want to hear their boyfriend say that as they gazed at the Eifel Tower?

Instead of saying it back like most girls would, Claire straightened up a bit in my lap, and then extracted something from within her pocket. It was a brass key. The type used in old mansions with a large circle at the end. She delicately placed it in my hand, and didn't say a word for a long moment.

Finally, she spoke, explaining what she had just given me. "Michael, I've, um, been using this key for the past week to get in and out of Leonardo's house." I was quiet for a few seconds, processing what she had just had just told me.

"Leonardo? The guy we met at the breakfast place?" She nodded meekly, not daring to even look near me. "Claire, are you--did you--why did you cheat on me, Claire?"

"I don't know why, Michael," she sighed, her tone cold and distant.

"I love you, Claire," my voice broke off into a million shattered pieces as I gazed at the girl I loved who was apparently cheating on me during our supposedly romantic trip. We had both spent weeks saving up for the opportunity, and now we were here, together, and she had throw it all away for some foreigner that she didn't even know. I wasn't sure if I was meant to be angry or sad or hurt or confused or even happy that she saved me the trouble of finding out myself and making the entire situation so much worse.

"I know you do, Michael," Claire said, attempting to get up from my lap, but I didn't let her. "I'm sorry."

"So am I," I said, grasping at her hand as she successfully stood up. I didn't want to let her go. I couldn't. We had been together for so long, and it just didn't feel right to end things like this.

"Michael, I think we should break up," Claire said. I just stared at the darkened grass, not saying a word. "It would be for the best, really."

"I don't think that's true, Claire. I love you. Being together is what would be for the best," I voiced, surprised at how desperate I sounded.

"I can't do this anymore, Michael. I'm sorry," she whispered, allowing our fingers to drift apart almost as quickly as we had--in a single instant. It was so fast. I thought that our relationship was perfectly fine, but evidently, it was the exact opposite. Claire had cheated on me for whatever reason, and was now ending our relationship. At the Eifel Tower. In Paris. On our European trip. Well, this was certainly depressing. "I'm, uh, going to go get my stuff from the hotel, and then I'm going to stay with Leonardo for a few days. I'll change my flight later. Sorry."

"Is that why you wanted to come back?" I questioned with too much desperation leaking in through my words.

"What?"

"Leonardo. You didn't actually want to see the country again--you wanted to see him. Claire, how could you do this to us?"

"I'm sorry," was all she said, taking a step away from me. "Goodbye, Michael." With the brief parting, she walked away from me, leaving me with only the memories of our relationship and the large key. Such a simple object used for opening a door or two, but it meant so much more. Claire had ended our relationship using this key. It wasn't an accident. It was on purpose. Claire had cheated on me, and the key was but an accomplice in the treacherous act. She was gone. She wasn't coming back. We were over.

"Uh, Dude With the Blue Umbrella?" I was suddenly addressed, jolting out of my triggered recollection, my eyes moving from the key necklace up to the girl's face. She had a lot of freckles and blue eyes. Not even nearly as pretty as Claire, but who was?

"Um, sorry. Yeah?" I finally said.

"Where's the nearest convenience store?" she asked, my gaze flickering back to her key one last time.

"Just take a left at the end of this street, and there should be one on your right," I told her with a sigh.

"Are you okay?" she asked skeptically, her eyebrows scrunched together in concern.

"No," I shook my head, "not even close."