My future starts today...

Start from the beginning

--

I managed to survive walking through the corridors, I did get a lot of stares, but people were a lot nicer this time. Before. On the first day of school last year. I was just a normal girl, who had hair (a wig), and could be picked on. But now people know about me having Cancer, so people are a lot more sympathetic and polite. Usually I get annoyed with sympathy, but it's better than the other way around.
People say hey to me, people I've never even seen before. Some ask me how I'm feeling.
Things are going really well so far.

"Let me introduce you to my mates."
I grip Ben's hand firmly and take a massive gulp as I come face to face with a lot of older-looking, (good looking) college boys.
"Guys, this is Darcy."
"Oh the girl you won't shut up about?!" One of his friends says.
"She's my girlfriend, what do you expect."
"Does she speak?" One of them says then gets all his 'mates' to laugh with him.
"Yes, I do actually. Thankyou very much." I say forcefully.
"Well okay then, I'm Chris." He leans over and shakes my hand.
"I'm Greg"
"Declan"
"Tye"
"Brayden"
One by one they all shout out their names. They seem nice, not perfect , but nice.
"Can we speak to your girlfriend alone a second please ben if you don't mind" says Brayden.
"Why guys?" Ben replies.
"Just for a chat, none of your business, you don't own her you know."
"I know I don't own her it's just-"
"Ben it's alright." I interrupt. "I'm a big girl, I can handle the situation."
"Alright, I'll be over there. See you in a second yeah."
He pulls me in by my waist and holds a passionate kiss for about 5 seconds.
I can tell he's just doing it to show off Infront of his friends, but to be honest, I don't really mind. Before I went through cancer, I would have been deeply annoyed by something like this. That's why I flipped out at ben last time. But since I've been through it, I've learnt what life is really about... There's no point in getting stressed over the little things, life isn't worth wasting little things like that when there are much more serious problems going on. I know this. I've been through it!
"So... Darcy" speaks Chris "how do you feel about a party tonight?"
"Um... Who's party?"
"Well... It's going to be like a surprise party for ben. It will be round my house, it's his birthday tommorow right?"
"Yeah, so he doesn't know?"
"No, but to be honest... It's just kind of an exuse for us to hang out and get drunk."
"Yeah... I guessed."
"So... You coming? It is your boyfriends birthday, you seem cool, wanna come?"
"Um... Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment. And... Well I don't know. I haven't really been out to a proper Party in a long time."
"Oh come on darcy, your 17! Live a little!"
It annoyes me so much when people say things like this. Having Cancer has taught me how to live. Getting drunk isn't the way, it's a way of wasting your life, not a way of living it.
But it is for Ben's birthday. "Okay fine, I'll go. When are you going to tell him?"
"I'll invite him round tonight, say I need to study or sometbing."
"Okay, I'll probably be coming with him, so see you there then, I guess."
"Yeah, bet you can't wait!"
I walk away, back over to ben, he's talking to a lot more boys. He seems quite popular in this place.
"Hey darcy, what was that about?"
"Oh nothing, just asking me some stupid questions about our relationship."
"Yeah, that does sound like something they would do."

For the rest of the morning ben is just introducing me to everyone he knows. Which, luckily,  Is a lot of people, so I won't feel like such a stranger when I go into lessons.
I met one girl who is in my biology and maths class. Chelsea is in my biology class too but I haven't seen her today yet.
It's 10am and time for my first lesson.
"Come sit next to me, the teacher won't mind" says Millie, (the girl who's in my biology class)
"Okay"
As the teacher walks in, I instantly remember him and what happened on that first day. I had to leave his class because he was talking about Cancer cells, and it made me feel sick.
I never returned to his lesson that day, I ended up fainting and going home. I did tell him though the day after that I had Cancer and that I wouldn't be coming back. But now I'm here!
I wonder if he'll recognise me?
"Right class, how are we this morning?"he says as he puts down his brief case on his desk.
"Let's not mess about, let's get staright into it."
He's about to start writing on the board when his eyes lock with mine.
"Oh, hi? Do we have a new girl in the class today."
Everyone turns around and stares directly at me. Great, all the attention is now on me. This is exactly what I wanted! Not.
"Yeah? Sort of" I reply nervously as everyone watches my every movement.
He starts walking towards me "hang on a minute." He says "is it... Darcy?"
"Yeah, I'm back. Hi"
"Oh wow you're back its so nice to see you. So how's everything going? How has it been dealing with Cancer."
I can't believe he just blurted it out to everyone in the class. Suddenly, everyone starts to whisper to eachother and stare at me even more.
"Um... Great thanks. I'm cured now, I don't have Cancer anymore."
"That's amazing, you must be one strong girl."
"Er... Thanks?"
"Well I'm glad you're joining back in with our class. I'm-"
"Sorry I'm late sir" he's interrupted when chelsea runs through the door really late.
"Chelsea! Why are you so late?"
"Long story, can I tell you later?"
"Fine go on then, go and sit at the back of the class. There's a new girl today, you better be nice to her." Chelsea turns her head to me, and her eyes open wide.
"Darcy!" She shouts then runs towards me and gives me a hug, with everyone still staring at me.
"Everyone settle down" sir says.
As he begins the lesson, chelsea continues our conversation, but quietly this time.
"I didn't know you were coming back in today!"
"Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned something, but I'm here now. And I can't wait to be able to hang out with you everyday."
"Yeah me neither, this will be just like old times. "
"So what's your long story for why you're so late?"
"Oh, I don't have one. I just over slept. But I have the rest of the lesson to come up with one now. See, I'm a genius."
"Er... You sure are"
It's just like old times. Chelsea is still her usual self like she used to be back in senior school.