49.

We were something.
You're in my head,
You're under my skin.
You're everywhere but here, by me.

Hussein was indoors on a Friday. It had been a busy week-lots of practice and everytime he was there, he kept seeing her. 

He couldn't stop staring at her. This was just like the first time he came to the gym and saw her. She was stretching, and he saw everything in slow motion. She never looked his way. Her green eyes were always on someone else. Someone else but him.

He prayed everyday that she would look his way. He never gave up. He hoped she'd look at him, even just once.

Then one day, she looked at him. Her green eyes were on his from across the room. She looked different-more approachable-her walls had come down. Everything had changed. She saw him and he gasped. He fell on his hand and almost broke it. She giggled at his confusion. Days later, Gina brought them together.

That was then.

Now she was the one staring at him when she thought he wasn't looking. He could feel her eyes on his back every single time he wasn't looking her way.

He looked her way too. She was always busy doing something. Most times all he saw was her ponytail, her skinny legs, and her small, heartshaped face looking down when she was tying her laces or picking up her pompoms.

Whenever practice ended, she'd be with the girls. They talked and she listened. She rarely said a thing. He had only heard her giggle once and that was because the team mascot which happened to be a bear, was pulling antics.

He knew it was her giggle. No one else sounded quite like her. He wished he could see her face. She always covered her mouth after making that beautiful noise. He always saw her eyes shine and she'd blush as she looked away.

He really really really missed her, but he couldn't bring himself to do anything.

"Are you actually staying in today?" Zayn asked his buddy as he prepared to go meet Gina. She'd finally agreed to go on a date despite the 'conflict of interests' she posed.

"Yeah. I have some work to catch up on."

Zayn felt bad but he couldn't drag his best friend to his date. He had struggled to convince Gina to go with him. Hussein would only make it awkward because as much as Zayn loved his friend, he also wanted to kiss Gina on the date.

"I know you wanna ask Gina to date you so you go ahead. I hope you are a good kisser. You will really need to convince her."

"Who said anything about kissing?" Zayn defended himself.

"Everyone knows that is all you wanna do."

"Am I that obvious?"

Hussein laughed. "Have fun Mate!"

Once Zayn was gone, he tried to study but his mind went back to Fiona.

¤*¤*¤ Flashback*¤*¤*
"So, you are friends with Gina, aren't you?" She asked him, her eyes staring deep into his. He couldn't look away even if he wanted to.

"Yeah," he replied breathlessly. "I am guessing you are too?"

"Yeah. I wonder where she is now."

"You like her, don't you?" Fiona teased.

"Am I that obvious?"

Fiona merely grinned. Right then, he forgot his feelings for the dancer and fell for the cheerleader.

¤*¤*¤End of flashback  *¤*¤*

Man, he missed having her right next to him. She was his cheerleader. She was his everything. How could he not believe anything she said? What if she actually got drugged? And raped?

Which kind of man would he be if he did not try to find out?

Which kind of man would he be if he didn't stand by her?

Hussein groaned. Was he strong enough?

He hated his brain.

And he hated the person who had him in this situation.

Groaning, he got up. Maybe he ought to check on her... yeah, he would just go and stand outside her house and see how things were.

Yeah, he could do that.

*&*&*&*&

"Come with us," Henna begged. "It is a Friday night. You can't stay in all alone!"

"But I wanna stay in," Fiona reiterated. She really didn't want to leave the house. She was going to play with Buffy, her new kitten. She was white and fluffy but had bandit eyes. Her nose was so pink and cute. Gina was hopelessly in love!

"Fine, you stay with your fluffy kitten. Go be a CCL for all I care!" Henna said, faking a hurt expression. Even she loved Buffy and couldn't tear herself away from the cute kitten.

"Bye Henna," she called as she stood at the door with her fluffy companion. Henna waved her hand distractedly and Buffy sensed something was watching them as the limo drove off. She mewed and Fiona shook her head at the kitten. "Say goodbye to Aunt Henna sweetie. Or not. Okay, let's go. Why are you being so fussy? Fine, let's go."

As she walked back into her house, a shadow stepped away from the trees. He smiled then wore his headphones and went on jogging.