Chapter Nineteen

Začať od začiatku

“Nothing, I’m fine.”

“You looked sad for a second.” He cocked one eyebrow.

“Just remembering the past, that’s all.” I assured him in a lost voice.

“Oh,” Niall nodding, saying nothing as his eyes glazed over in a faraway fashion, as if he too was being pulled into ghostly memories from the past.

Just as suddenly as he’d drifted away, he was back, his blue eyes back to their original shine. “So what do you want to do first Brookie-Bee? Climb Bray Head? Go to the Heritage Center? Visit the Nation Sea Life aquarium? Walk through the Killruddery House gardens?”

I smiled at him, remembering how he’d asked a similar question the day this adventure was dreamt up. I answered in the exact same way, “I don’t know.”

“That’s what you said when I asked what you wanted to do in Mullingar.” He accused, clearly thinking of the same memory. “At least then I knew the town. Here I know nothing. I’m as clueless as you are.”

I thought for a moment before answering, “Bray Head. Let’s do that one.” Honestly, it was the only thing he said that I could actually remember.

An hour and a half later and Niall and I were positioned in the shadow of a ten foot cross, hundreds of feet over the sea. Niall sat down on the ground, resting his back against the symbol as he dropped his pack at his feet. I sat down next to him, embarrassingly attempting to return my breathing back to a normal pace. The hike up the outcrop had been a tad more difficult than expected, mostly because I’d been climbing several hundred feet on only a few hours of sleep. I did have to admit that all the hard work was completely worth it, considering the view was impeccably stunning.

I carefully fished my camera out of my bag as Niall nursed a water bottle, snapping a few snazzy pictures of the town and the bay spread out beneath me. I playfully turned the camera in Niall’s direction; he posed jokingly with the water bottle hanging out of his mouth causing us both to laugh. I quickly captured the moment before putting the camera away.

Without speaking, Niall handed me his water bottle and I took a few tentative sips before Niall assured me that I could have the rest. I immediately started gulping the cool liquid down, what with me being so parched and worn out.