Contrary

"You do realize that your friendship can never go back to the way it was?" The man in front of me asked. "I realize that now, yes." I said crossing my hands in my lap. We had marriage counseling today and the asshole couldn't even show up for that.

"Do you regret ever being with Nicholas in that way?" the man asked. "Some days I do but most of the time I don't because I wouldn't have Amelia if I didn't." That whole sentence became all jumbled up. "But if you didn't have Amelia would you have left Nicholas already?"

How is this going to better my relationship with my husband? "I don't kno-" I began. "Hey, sorry I'm late." Nicholas said as he walked in. He waved at the counselor and leaned to kiss me on the lips but I quickly turned my head.

He sighed and sat down. "So, we can continue." Nicholas whispered. "Okay, so I think we should start from the beginning and getting to know your relationship with your wife." The counselor began. I can't even remember his name. I looked around the room trying to catch a glimpse of something until I saw the mantle on his desk that read Alexander Morales.

"Where did you two meet?" Mr. Morales asked. I'd already answered this question and if he didn't remember I'd honestly feel some type of way. "Natalia and I were both orphans, my family died in a plane crash and hers just kind of abandoned her. We lived in a orphanage called rexo and when we were kids I remember vaguely that some girls were picking on her and I saved her like the superhero I am." He chuckled.

"Ever since then, well up to now we've been bestfriends and I've loved her immensely." He said looking a little distant. "I can't say the same thing for her though." Nicholas looked down and then back up putting on a fake smile. See, that's the Nicholas I know the vulnerable Nicholas. The one who knows what it's like to be sad and alone. Not the one that puts on a show for everyone.

"And tell me about your daughter?" The counselor asked Nicholas. "Jamie? She's the absolute light of my life." Nicholas began. Oh really? Hmm If she was the light of your life you wouldn't have fucked that slut and ruined our life together.

"I thought your daughters name was Amelia?" The counselor asked confused going through papers. "No, well yes. See her first name is Jamie but her middle name is Amelia and I guess it caught on more than Jamie did." I interrupted.

"Oh well, in that case Nicholas please continue." Morales said. "Oh yes, please do continue on how much you know about Amelia?" I said sarcastically. Nicholas rolled his eyes in annoyance and turned to face me.

"She was born february 14, 2012 at about 1:00 a.m. Her favorite blanket is the blue one that my mom kept up in that dusty old attic. She can't go to sleep without it nor can she go to sleep with having that busted old radio play that stupid song from tarzan. She wakes up in the middle of the night crying sometimes because she has nightmares and the only way to get her back to sleep is rocking her over and over again." He said without breathing.

"Contrary to popular fucking belief and what you tell your nosy ass friends, I actually know stuff about my daughter."

Well I'll be damned.