Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

But today it was me who was being yelled at, and unfortunately I couldn’t just stick my headphones in and hide away in my bed. I couldn’t pretend it wasn’t happening, because it was... right in front of me. For once I had to face the fight head on.

“Chloe,” I started in the friendliest tone I could manage. “You are completely overreacting.”

“Do not tell me what I’m doing, whore.” Chloe took a step towards me, raising her hand as she was about to slap me.

Niall jumped up but I shook my head slightly, indicating that he shouldn’t get involved—even though her comment about me being a ‘whore’ completely enraged me.

“Niall isn’t your boyfriend anymore. You broke up with him, remember?”

Obviously I remember.” Her tone made me feel like I was stupid. “But that doesn’t mean you get to come here and steal him.”

“One, he doesn’t belong to you.” I was struggling to keep my voice neutral. “Two, I’m not ‘stealing’ him. We’re just friends. And three, if we wanted more than that, who are you to stop it?”

The two of us were glaring at each other; her with hate and me with anger. I could never hate my cousin, I just particularly disliked her at this point in time. We used to be close, even with living so far apart, but we had slowly separated in the past year. I really didn’t like the way Chlo had treated Niall.

“Stay away from him.” She snarled.

“Why Chloe? Why do I have to stay away from him? Do you think he’s going to come running back into your arms if I leave? Because you and I both know that’s never going to happen. He deserves someone a lot better than you.” My words were ice cold.

“Oh, so you think he deserves you?” She spit the words at me.

“No, he deserves better than me. Niall’s the most amazing, sweetest, and perfect person I’ve ever met. Both of us pale in comparison to him. Maybe once upon a time he was enamored by you, but those days are long gone. He knows he can do so much better. I don’t delude myself into thinking that I could be right for him. I know I can’t hold a candle to him.”

Chloe clapped her hands slowly and sarcastically. “Great show, Miss. Brooke. That should earn you what? A nice make out session?”

“No?” I said, suddenly confused.

“Oh please. Niall eats that kind of thing up. Tonight he’ll be all ‘Oh, I don’t deserve you baby, you’re the one who’s amazing’.” Chloe scoffed. “Don’t act like that’s not why you said it.”

“I already told you; we’re not dating. And I don’t make out with guys that I’m not dating.” I crossed my arms over my chest in defiance. “I said it because it’s true.”

Chloe laughed cruelly. “Fine, I don’t care.”

“Really? Because you wouldn’t be here screaming at me if you didn’t.” I countered, cocking my eyebrow.

“Whatever. Have a nice life you two. Brooke, just remember that you’re a sl—”

“Excuse me? Is everything alright over here?” A security guard appeared in between us, a stern look adorning his face. “I’m going to have to ask you ladies to leave.”

“I was just about to go.” Chloe said, her voice sickly sweet. She brushed past me roughly, knocking me off my balance as her shoulder coarsely connected with mine. She stormed out the doors before I even had time to react.

The security guard gripped me by the arm and led me towards the exit.

“Wait!” Niall called after us.

I turned to answer but the man kept walking faster. “C’mon, miss. You have to leave.”

Niall jogged to catch up with us. “I can take it from here, sir.”

The man nodded. “Thanks, Niall.”

The two of us walked outside in silence before I asked the question that had been bubbling on my tongue. “How did that man know your name?”

“I’ve been coming here every week since I was twelve. Everyone knows me.”

“Oh.”

Niall rubbed his nose. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m mad, but only because it took me this long to really figure out how mean Chloe was.” I said, honestly. I’d always been had a poor time trying to tell if someone was fake or not.

Niall chuckled. “Hey, don’t beat yourself up. I was in a relationship with her for two years and I still hadn’t figured it out.”

I laughed with him, nodding.

“Did you really mean the stuff that you said? About me?” He gazed up at me nervously.

“Of course. Every word.”

Niall smiled and me. “You’re wrong you know.”

“About what?” I asked.

“About me being too good for you. You’re the amazing one.”

“Thanks, Ni.” I wanted so badly to have his hands wrapped around my own.

With that, we mutually decided to put the whole Chloe incident behind us. “You smell like coffee.” Niall commented, before drawing in a sharp breath.

“Your cousin took me to Bewley’s.”

Niall nodded thoughtfully. “I knew I was forgetting something... Did you like it?”

“It was the best breakfast I’ve ever had.” I laughed, patting my stomach.

“Whaddya say we head back to the flat and have a huge movie marathon, yeh?”

“Don’t you want to go back inside?” I gestured to the airport behind us. I still didn’t know why he came every weekend, but he’d been doing it for over half a decade and I didn’t want to take it away.

Niall looked torn now that I’d given him permission to return. I shoved him lightly. “Go. We can have a movie marathon another day.”

“You sure?” His eyes bore into mine.

“Positive. Now go do whatever it is you do every weekend.”

Niall took a step backwards, a lopsided smile spreading across his face. “Have I ever told you that I really like you, Brookie?”

“It’s been implied.” I grinned at him. Then, before I even realized what was happening, his arms were around me. It was the second time we hugged, and it was even better than the first. I squeezed him back tightly, feeling how his muscles flexed in his back. I did my best to burn every millisecond of the hug into my memory.

“See ya later, Bee.” Niall gave me one last grin before he strode off towards the airport.

“Bye, Niall.” I whispered, even though he was long gone by then. Were things going to be different now? Were Niall and I going to become more than just friends? Or would everything simply stay the same? I wasn’t sure what I wanted, but I knew I would accept either fate.

Because either way, I would still have Niall in my life.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

How did you guys like this chapter? Haha, I promised there would be drama! I worked pretty hard on this and its late and im tired so please comment and vote... they make me smile.

Definitely almost has 2,000 reads, and that is thanks to you guys!<3

Love all my wonderful readers x

PS. I posted my FAVOURITE OF ALL TIME niall gif on the side. omfg he is so cute i