Choosing Fate .:21:.

“She doesn’t know!” the middle-aged man snarled, glaring down furiously at the girl whom he had just knocked unconscious. “How could she not know?!”

“She’s young Ken,” a voice said from the doorway. “Cut her some slack. She’s still probably – what? Sixteen? Fifteen?”

Ken eyed the girl warily and suddenly felt guilt.How the hell could he feel guilt for this monster?

But . . . but seeing that pained, innocent look on her face told him otherwise. She reminded him of his own two young daughters; twin fifteen year olds and suddenly felt as though he had betrayed them. Like he was electrocuting of his daughters’ friends.

“I’ll take it from here Ken,” the man said.

“Patrick –”The young man glared at the older one who worked for him.

“Right then,” Ken muttered, scurrying out the room and closed the door behind him.

Patrick smirked, satisfied and looked quickly around the room. White walls, one door and a metal bed with electrocuting dials.

“Right then my little one,” he whispered, reaching for a bucket of cold water that he had brought in with him.

He scooped a handful and tossed it into her face.Cool water splashed across Emerie’s burning hot skin as she desperately forced her eyelids open.

“Please,” she croaked, whimpering. “I don’t know! I barely know how to –”

“Quiet,” he snapped, hand resting against the dial. He turned it up a notch and watched her cringe as the digital numbers sped up.

There’s something off, she thought to herself. Surely she could outmatch human electricity!

She’d seen real electricity performed by advanced Fire Elementals and the power . . . it was nothing like this. She grit her teeth and embraced the pain, sucking it all in with a cautious breath.

A sudden tingle swept up her arm, circulating around her wrists.No . . . it was charmed with magic!

That same ring on her finger had the same enchanted feeling . . . all the devices attached to her were charmed with magic!

There definitely was a traitor.But who?

Ryker.It had to be.

“Where’s Ryker?!” she snapped, eyes narrowing around the white walls of the room. “Where’s –”

Scream.

Pain.

Agony.

Whimper.

“I ask the questions little one,” he purred, stroking her damp cheek as a tear slid down. He flicked it away and smirked. “So will you tell me now?”

“Please I don’t know,” she whimpered. “I don’t know anything! If I did I – I’d tell you!”

Lie. Total, obvious lie.Emerie would obviously rather die than tell how to transfer powers; not that she even knew it was possible.

“Well you are young,” he mused, strolling around the room. “However I don’t know who this Ryker you’re talking about is.”

Her black eyes flashed. “I know he’s here! I know he is! Where the hell is he?!”

His blonde eyebrows shot up and immediately he pressed against the dial.She screamed in pain, convulsing in the chains that kept her secured to the metal bed.

But it was human electricity.

Not magic.No wonder she could withstand it so far!

“Please,” she begged. “Let me go! I want to go back!”