Choosing Fate .:15:.

Classes had started. Pain. There was no other way to describe it for Emerie.

After that session with Cian, Emerie felt as though she had been abused by an alcoholic every day, appearing with cuts, bruises and fractured ribs all able to heal in the flooded infirmary but it still ached with reminders of the pain.

It was horrible . . . but she could see why they were so worth it. It was fun!

Well sure it was like hell to be tossed about by walking trees, sweating like a pig when you got too near fire and the bitchy feeling of whiplash in her neck felt as though it would never go away but it actually improved Emerie. In fact it improved everybody else!

The Capture The Flag game remained dangerous as ever and within the next week while students were recovering the time had come; tryouts.

Emerie was jittery, not because she thought she would do bad but because she thought she would screw up in front of the official team for the sport and probably all the other spectators and cheerers.

“You’ll do fine,” Raquel said, nudging Emerie with a smile. “Are you trying out for Duel? You’d definitely have an advantage.”

Emerie froze in her tracks, the wind whipping at her bare legs that peeked out from a pair of sports shorts.

“Crap,” Emerie hissed, dragging Raquel to the back of a crowd of female and male Elementals. “That’s the problem! It’s not fair because I have an advantage!

Raquel shrugged nonchalantly. “If I were you, I’d probably take the advantage and go for it.”

Emerie frowned, shaking her head as disappointment flashed across her face. “I’m cheering you on OK? It’s not fair to everybody else!”

Raquel’s lips twitched with amusement. “Half of me was hoping I’d have a shot against you and half of me was hoping that you’d drop out . . .”

“See!” Emerie exclaimed, clutching her ponytail nervously. “I’ll watch with the spectators. You behave all right?”

Raquel snorted. “Me? Behave? I dunno . . .”

Emerie rolled her eyes and pat her friend on the back. “I’m going to go get my jacket. Good luck for the first round.”

“I’ll need it,” the orange-haired girl said dryly, eyeing her fierce competition up and down. “Bye Emerie.”

“Bye Raquel.”

Emerie hurried down the corridor, disappointed that she would have to drop out as it was unfair to all the other people trying out.

Quickly grabbing a random jacket, she stripped out of her shorts and threw on a rough pair of jeans, bolting out while locking her door at the same time and let the key fly into her back pocket.

A grin lit up her face. She could see the competition Raquel had and hopefully her friend will make it into a team!

There was no stadium as Emerie expected.

Until she got onto the field.

Mrs Wakefield, a proud advanced Earth Elemental, stood with her arms upraised and the ground rumbling beneath everybody’s feet.

Emerie remained rooted to the spot, watching in awe as grassy columns lifted up and started shooting around them . . . forming a stadium.

A smirk spread across Mrs Wakefield’s face as she took in all the students’ awed expressions.

With a brush of her hands, Mrs Wakefield flounced off as though nothing had happened.

Emerie bolted for the first row seat and watched in anticipation. She certainly picked a good spot; opposite direction of the judges table.