47; A Little Distance

Start from the beginning

"I was starting to like you for a little bit," He called out and I hummed rolling my eyes humorously as I turned back to my laptop and leaned forwards to retrieve my coffee mug from the table.

Once I had my brief caffeine break I continued working, it was just a mesh of replying to emails and cancelling meetings since I'd be here in Miami until further notice.

I worked until my eyes began to ache painfully every time I blinked which was around half two. I folded my laptop, getting up and off the sofa since I had decided to work downstairs so I wouldn't disturb Hazel when she was sleeping.

She was still doing so once I reached our shared bedroom upstairs, the same one that provided memories of when we had both been here before.

I scolded myself mentally for imagining it all over again in my head whilst I placed my laptop down on the bed stand and watched as Hazel slept with the covers all the way up to her chin.

She had a habit of doing that.

A small smile made its way to my lips as I looked at her, the knowledge that she wasn't feeling constantly down like she was when she was awake was comforting to me.

It was how I knew she wasn't feeling any pain that put me at ease because I had yet to question how she had gone through so much but had stayed strong throughout the years.

It was something I asked myself daily when I would catch her smiling at something and she didn't know I was staring, or how she'd laugh at something I said and beg me to stop talking so she could take a moment to breathe.

It was moments like that where I wondered how she'd gone through hell and back and yet she found the strength to smile and face the world with confidence.

Moments I had replayed over and over in my head for the past few days because I had missed my Hazel.

My Hazel that would smile happily and find pleasure in the simplest of things like staying at home and eating dinner out of a Chinese takeaway box.

My Hazel that would stuff her face with strawberries and cream after watching a sad movie and ask me to come and sit next to her so she had a shoulder to lean on (literally).

My Hazel that would find the courage to overcome something so big with the utmost confidence no matter what she was feeling like when she had personally asked her dad to stop pestering me even after I had gone off at her and stupidly blamed her for something she hadn't done.

Yet maybe the Hazel I was staring at right now was her.

It was the real Hazel who was pushing me away because she couldn't cope with the fact that her support figure during her teenage years was slowly hanging onto a small thread that held her life.

The real Hazel who hadn't slept for the past few days and had laid stoic by my side in bed every night until the sun rose and shone through the gaps in the blinds.

The real Hazel who I was slowly starting to love a lot more because it was a side of her so raw even I couldn't fathom it.

It was a challenge I was willing to fight through until the end where I'd be able to see that beautiful smile on her face.

That exact moment where I'd know she'd pushed through a tough situation and had come out of it just fine, if not stronger like she had always done previously.

But the problem was that even I knew that time was yet to come and it was just a waiting game for both sides of the situation.

Then again I guess good things do come to people who wait.