“You know you’re breaking rule number one...” He dramatically gasped, and I knew he was smiling even though I couldn’t see his face.

“Shut up.” I snarled, whipping a pillow at him as hard as I could. His low chuckle was contagious and soon we were both laughing.­

- - -

“Why?” Niall’s voice woke me up from my vivid memory.

I was surprised he responded to the whole zebras thing, so I looked down at him in curiosity. “Why do I like the zebras?”

“Yeah,” His eyes flickered to hers fleetingly. Even in the dark, his blue irises glowed more intensely than anything I’d ever seen.

I’d never thought about it before. Zebras had always been my favourite animal, and I was always perfectly content watching them as a kid. I’d never even thought to question it. “Well, I guess because they’re so beautiful. I mean they have these beautifully vibrant stripes and when they run it’s like the stripes are dancing. And not to mention, they are so incredibly graceful. I guess I love them because they’re just beautiful animals.” I laughed before continuing. “I also love how their manes stick straight on up. I mean I don’t think any other animal could pull it off as well as they do.”

Niall stayed silent; his eyes continuously tracing patterns on the ceiling tiles. Suddenly, I felt edgy. I wondered if this was how he felt when I didn’t respond to him.

“Was that the wrong answer?”

Niall gently laughed. “There is no right or wrong answer, Bee. It’s your opinion.”

“You didn’t say anything so I thought you thought that what I said was stupid.” I admitted. I was suddenly thankful for the dim lighting for he was unable to see my raging blush.

“No,” Niall rushed to answer, taking me aback slightly. “Don’t ever think something you say is stupid. Don’t doubt yourself.”

“Are you alright?” I asked, noticing his unusual anxiety.