More Than Meets The Eye -23-

Autumn groaned inwardly when she entered a store that sold clothes basically all from her mother’s fashion lines.

“Oh, my autumn collection is out!” Alana exclaimed, beaming at the dark maroon-coloured clothing hung up on headless mannequins around the fancy store. Oh the irony of having a season for a name. “Wow they came out a lot better than I thought! Try this on!”

Autumn bit her lip to bite back a retort. Instead she blurted out, “Do I have to?”

“Yes,” Alana said, planting her hands on her hips. “You have the frame of one of my models; this will look good on you!”

She sighed, taking the outfit Alana had chosen. Of course Autumn could guarantee the outfit would match her complexion and figure but she couldn’t guarantee that it would be her style.

With a hidden grimace, Autumn stomped into one of the large changing rooms and changed quickly into the chosen clothes. It was a slim-fitting stretchy thin dress with tight leggings underneath. Alana had also thrown in a small cardigan to drape around her shoulders. Groaning at how it hugged her awkwardly hunched body too exaggeratedly, Autumn flung open the door and sulked in front of her mother.

“Lift your chin and your sternum and strut!” Alana sang, absolutely glowing.

“No,” Autumn snapped, reaching for the door to change.

“Have you looked in the mirror lately?” Alana questioned, shooting a disbelieving look at her daughter. How could Autumn hide such a figure and perfect frame under baggy clothes and hoodies? It was so unflattering . . . and in the fashion industry Alana was supposed to make her clothes flattering to all.

“You know mum, when you say that to someone it usually means they’re ugly,” Autumn said, leaning against the door uncomfortably. The leggings were too tightly wrapped around her calves and the dress made her feel self-conscious and fat. Who wouldn't? “Can I take it off now?”

“I get a picture first,” Alana declared firmly, snapping out a flash phone with who knows how many megapixels.

Autumn rolled her eyes and stood up, hunching her shoulders and crossed her arms sulkily.

“Let me fix that posture.” Alana flicked her daughter’s chin up, pushed her shoulders back and rounded Autumn’s curled back so that she was sort of sticking her butt out. “Better.”

“No. Awkward.”

Autumn glowered at the camera when it flashed but at least it was over. Within a matter of seconds, she had changed back into her normal clothing.

Little did she know, it was far from over.

They probably spent about five hours in the mall from ten in the morning straight through to three in the afternoon. Autumn’s legs were killing her and just the constant nattering of her mother was enough to drive her crazy!

“Mum I’m tired,” she said crossly, unable to cross her arms from all the bags of clothing lining her arms. “Won’t we go bankrupt from all this shopping?”

Alana shot Autumn a queer look. “Really Autumn? Do you really think so?”

Autumn clamped her mouth shut. Giggles escaped the two young women.

“Probably not,” Autumn admitted with a laugh and stumbled after her mother in the secured parking lot. “But I will get my car back at the end of the week right? For Jenna’s funeral?”

“Yes, yes,” Alana said nonchalantly, waving her hands to brush it off. “About that – I was hoping we could have an elaborate funeral for Jenna since she was so important! A mighty big chapel, beautiful flowering arrangements, the casket should be made of the finest wood and –”