More Than Meets The Eye -20-

One week and no troubles; it had to be an absolute miracle. God was working his miracles up there all right!

Sure Autumn’s new bodyguard, Jake, had an uncanny ability to shadow her every movement without being spotted and sure, the tabloids weren’t entirely off her back but they had ceased and instead they were swooning over some scandal with Amy Winehouse or some other wrecked star.

The funeral was a week away and Autumn was browsing around the nearest mall, knowing that Jake was nearby somewhere.

Autumn was somewhat glad that all her fans hadn’t completely abandoned her all because of the whole ‘Famed’ rumour blurted out by Opal. In fact she was grateful when she had been mobbed by fans and had signed numerous autographs until her hand cramped. It didn’t matter; she had loyal fans that didn’t hate her like her father seemed to. Least she wasn’t totally hated.

“Jake, it’s a little weird for you to be hiding in the corner of a women’s clothing shop,” Autumn mumbled, smiling discreetly at the casually dressed, built young man in the corner of the shop, eyeing her every move. “And this feels stalker-ish.”

Jake smiled wryly and walked up to her with his hands behinds his back. “It’s what I get paid to do Autumn.”

“All right, give me my phone,” Autumn said hastily, holding out a hand towards Jake. “Come on.”

Muttering obscenities under his breath, Jake handed it reluctantly. Another condition that Jake was paid to do was to keep Autumn’s Blackberry away from her until the ‘heated emotions’ between her and Will died down.

Obviously it wasn’t happening because Autumn always texted Will about where to meet up and . . . well they couldn’t deny their feelings for each other.

Somehow, Autumn’s mind wandered back to Tristan, the traitor.

She had only known him for so long until he had attempted to kidnap her with his own brother. Some family, huh? Ever since that night, Autumn refused to even look out the window let alone leave the house after six, being the paranoid person she was.

Tristan had been so sweet . . . she couldn’t believe he was a part of the Viper Cult; an assassin society. Tristan had killed people.

Autumn knew deep down, as much as she wanted to hide it, that she wasn’t completely off the Cult’s radar. She shuddered inwardly at the thought.

“Will’s coming soon,” Autumn murmured, her eyes lighting up eagerly. She forced all the negative thoughts to the back of her mind and fought back a smile.

“You really like this boy don’t you?” Jake teased, crossing his arms and raised an eyebrow as Autumn wandered through the black clothing, trying to figure out what Jenna would have wanted her to wear at her own funeral.

Autumn shrugged nonchalantly yet felt her heart thrum harder in her chest. She truly did like Will . . . was it right though?

Of course it is, she scolded herself internally and shook her head, pushing aside a thin stringy black blouse and looked for something thicker and warmer.

“Found him,” Jake muttered, looking out the doors and watched the blonde-haired young man step into the store followed by a gang of girls. “Oh . . . looks like somebody’s jealous!”

Autumn’s face flared in embarrassment. “Am not!” She stomped her foot, clenched her fists and scrunched up the lacy black scarf in her hand. The poor piece of material . . .

“Autumn, just go over and steal your man,” Jake said with an eye roll. “I know when my girlfriend gets jealous and it’s not pretty – stop hurting that scarf!”