25 Soldier or Not?

POV Astrid

"I can't wait for tomorrow!" Merida laughed and jumped to her bunk bed. Her body weight made her bounce on the springs.

"It is not certain that everyone will be a soldier. Remember how Punzie GoGo ran too fast and fell through ice? She was her waist high in water and freezing when we got her out," I lectured her.

"We all were wet," GoGo added grumpily.

"Thankfully Captain Frost helped us with doing the fire. I mean my fingers were freezing," Punzie gasped. She was again sitting on the support log in the ceiling of the barrack.

"Yeah... does he even hate women? I mean he helped... but it might just be a reason for him to make us fail the test," I wondered aloud as I walk around the barrack.

"Someone should go and seduce him?" Punzie giggled but everyone gave her a glare. "Or maybe not?" She laughed nervously.

Someone knocked our doorframe and waited, quickly I walk for the door but GoGo was faster.

"It's for you," she said in her usual bored way as she swung her hair over her shoulder. She popped her chewing gum that she just blew into a pink ball.

"Thanks," I replied as I went to the door. It was Hiccup.

"Hey Astrid," he smiled warmly and I go out with him.

"Time to see Stormfly and Toothless?" I grinned.

"Yup. Anyway what kind of special talents your squad has?" He asked curiously. He was always keen on planning things and wanted to know all possible solutions to circumstances.

"Let me see--," I began as we were walking towards the kennels.

"Merida is brave and is a great archer, Punzie has magical healing skills, GoGo is super fast – and smartmouthed," I explained.

"And you are best with blunt weapons and strong," Hiccup laughed and made me blush a bit.

"Yeah, yeah--," I said while opening up the kennel door. "And your squad?"

"Hiro is the master of technology, Eugene is great in stealth and a thief, I have some sort of fire soul as Captain said and clever mind... and Elsa...uh," Hiccup said and rubbed his neck.

"You don't know yet?" I asked, I knew that look on Hiccups face.

"Precisely. She keeps it hidden still," Hiccup shrugged.

We went to the cages and got our dogs out. Hiccup was immediately knocked down by Toothless.

"Oh c'mon Buddy!" Hiccup laughed when his dog was licking him. They were now nearly in size of adult, juniors and already really clever. There are still things they need to learn but still they are remarkable.

"He is just keen of you," I teased him as I threw a ball for Stormfly to fetch.

Stormfly brought it back fast. "Good girl!" I cheered and patted its head. It whacked its tail around in excitement.

When it was late I went back to barrack after wishing Hiccup good luck for tomorrow. That's the day when we find out if we're soldiers or not. Some might be retrained or even kicked out depending of the test result. This year's theme was winter which horrified everyone, especially females because it was supervised by Captain Frost who is known of hating women.

It was afternoon when we waited in front of a stage for the speeches. One Captain was missing, all others were sitting on chairs behind Colonel Moon. Then Colonel Moon nodded his head to North who seemed to understand what he meant and left from the stage. He walked to a gymnastic hall building.