Choosing Fate .:20:.

Start from the beginning

Libby sighed with relief, placing a hand on her heart for dramatic effect. “Thank God Emerie’s back!”

“We thought an alien took over,” Raquel added lamely as they both strolled out, closing the door behind them.

As soon as they were gone, the scowl was stretched into a grin that would do all the original Cheshire Cat shame!

Emerie held her arms up above her, ready conjure flames when the gold band caught her eye.

She admired it on her pinkie finger as it glinted under the very little sunlight which peeked through the thick blinds.

It was a wonder what charmed metal could do.

Days passed, weeks and months even and suddenly Emerie was caught up in the third term of her curriculum in Akorin Academy.

She was acing all her tests in the classes and within weeks teachers had started to favour her as they’d favour any other excelling student.

Emerie’s unease definitely faded just like Elder Carvill had promised and it was definitely a shocker when Emerie found out that this kind Elder had been her grandmother all along!

She grew closer to both Darryl and Cian, loathed being teased by them both but loved them anyways though she’d never admit it aloud.

Even the worries of this traitor faded.

Everything was perfect.

Not quite though.

Emerie strolled down the marketplace with Libby, Raquel and both her brothers hovering around awkwardly.

The group marched off towards the music courtyard and soon they had spent hours there.

Emerie almost smiled gleefully occasionally, a rare sight for the girl who was always famous for her menacing scowls.

“God I’ll never get tired of this,” Emerie admitted, swaying side to side to the music that resembled classical music slightly.

She looked around to find admiring gazes and still curious gazes locking with her cheerful, black-eyed ones.

Time seemed to slow and her heartbeat was all she could hear as she started to hit realisation with full force and speed.

Her stomach plummeted and her palms clammed up.

The smile and happiness was wiped off her face completely.

She parted from the crowd, glad that her friends were too entranced with the music to notice her and slipped into an alley, keeping close to the mouth of the alley.

“What’s happened to me?” she whispered, sliding down and sitting on the dirty ground in the deserted alleyway.

All this time . . . all this time how could she be happy when the big decision was only months away?

Elder Carvill predicted that she would need to make the choice by the end of the year when the humans attacked.

And the end of the year wasn’t too far away.

In fact it was three to four months away.

She was dreading it.

She buried her face in her hands and felt her chest convulse several times.

That big decision . . . it would decide the fate of all these kind people’s lives! All these people’s survival and lives were at stake.

Her blood ran cold. She still had no idea which element to choose.