Chapter 75: A Pit Road Penalty

With the call being made to get back going, the No. 9 crew began repairs – though a little early as the red flag was still being displayed. As a result, they were issued a one lap penalty from NASCAR. The team didn't let that deter them, making the necessary repairs.

"NASCAR wants you to back up in the stall," Kenny comes over the radio, as they were set to serve their penalty.

"Is there anything else that I can do for them today?" Chase snaps back after following the orders as requested. It was clear the remainder of this race would be no fun.

With the penalty served and damage fixed mostly, he returned to the track to make laps and hopefully make up ground. Sarina had one eye on him, but also another on Ryan as he was in dominate form with the lead. Since Chase couldn't win, she'd have no problem with Ryan winning. However, just like Chase, Ryan got caught up in someone else's mess, wrecked while trying to put a bunch of cars a lap down.

"Did someone let out the clowns today or what?" She asked in total disbelief. "Ridiculous!"

It didn't take long for the race to get back underway – or stopped again, with a second red flag flying at Lap 204.

"Did we get it fixed decent enough?" Josh asks and Chase nods his head. Normally when you were driving a wrecked racecar around, you were full of negative things to say. But the list of complaints didn't seem to form when it came to the laps he made. 

"It's actually driving pretty decent, considering," Chase answers earning an glance of approval from the crew. "What happened to Ryan?"

Jordan took the liberty of explaining, which earned a glance of shock and disbelief from Chase in return. He was then intrigued by what the interior mechanic had to share about others upfront and the nature of the track thus far.

With the discussion behind them and hopes of staying dry, the decision was made to retreat back to the trailer.

"Hey, are you okay?" Jordan asks as he lingers behind the others with Chase. He had done so purposely, in having to want to check on his driver. Could anyone blame him after what he had witnessed just days ago? He was the only person there that knew the full story. 

"I'm fine," he tells him as Jordan takes another solid glance. He had heard those words uttered by Chase before in that tone. He knew that was never the full truth. 

"Are you sure? I mean, I know how tore up you were-"

"Jordan, I'm fine. I'm just focused on making the most of today right now. We can worry about that later – or really not at all." Jordan wanted to scream in response as he knew taking that approach wouldn't help. They had seen what that had caused before to Chase, in how tore up he had become with puking his guts out and making himself sick. Why couldn't they learn from these sessions? "Just promise me you haven't told the guys."

"I would never break your trust – as long as you promise to come to me if you need anything." Chase takes a careful deep breath. He did have one wish. It would be harder to fulfil than it was to say, though. 

"I just want to forget what happened, how she made me feel, and rid of her out of my life forever. But wait, I can't do that because she could be hiding around the next corner planning another attack. If you want to know the truth, there's no way I'm going to feel completely over what happened until I know she can't do anything to me, Sarina, or anyone ever again. Will that day come?" Jordan hoped and prayed, but still didn't know for absolutely certain anymore. They had come close with the cops within feet of her, but yet she managed to get away. Would that give anyone hope for the future? 

"I know everyone is doing what they can. It will end soon, Chase." Chase wanted to believe those words, but it seemed distant and repetitive given the past couple of months.

"I hope you're finally right...." He then heads into the hauler, joining the rest of the team. Jordan wanted to continue the conversation, but for now respected his driver's wishes.

It'd been a quiet period of time waiting for the rain to pass, but it also didn't seem like it'd be stopping anytime soon. It was at that time NASCAR made the decision to regroup and come back on Monday to try and finish the rest of the Food City 500.

"Considering the car is wrecked and we're out of it, we could just pack up," Kenny suggests, catching a glance from Chase. That was something he had never heard ushered by a crew member before. Was Kenny really the right fit to fill in for Alan? "I know you've been through quite a bi-"

"Everything that happened last week has no effect on me standing here right now, or coming back tomorrow," Chase cuts him off, which caught the crew chief by surprise. Kenny could also tell that it wasn't the full truth, either, no matter how much Chase tried to hide his emotions. "Besides, we are spending another weekend working together. Let's use tomorrow as practice for getting to know each other more, and then maybe we can make something work in Richmond."

"If that's what you want to do, I'm as committed as you are and I'll see you tomorrow." Chase nods his head with a small smile as he goes to head off. "Chase?" Chase then stops, glancing back towards Kenny. "I have no clue what happened this past week, or what Alan and Jordan know. But I will say this – whatever it is that happened between yourself, Sarina, and Alison, I hope it works out. I hope that you're able to work your way through whatever feelings you're having. I hope they're able to find her so you can put your mind at peace. If you want to talk, you know my door is always open..."

"I appreciate that, Kenny, but I'm going to be fine." Chase takes a pause, followed by a deep breath as everything flashes before his eyes once again. Why did that always seem to happen? Why couldn't he forget about what happened already? "I don't think I could bring myself to talk to you about it, if I'm being honest. I just can't find those words. But I appreciate the offer."

"Anytime. Remember, we're all family and we will do whatever we need to do for each other." Chase nods his head, not needing a reminder considering Alan's past couple of instances.

The Tale of Love & Racing: Sarina's Storyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें