Chapter 54: "You're never going to get away with this...."

Chase gets out of the car and makes his way back to the box, letting out a sigh.

There was nothing you could want in where they ranked the second practice, but that didn't tell the whole story. He obviously knew the first run was off of their game, but the second he felt was closer to where he wanted to be. It wasn't quite as good as where he was last October, but the feeling was coming to him and confidence was growing they'd be fine come Sunday.

However, his attitude was immediately shifted when he noticed an envelope sitting there, with his name on it. He went to reach for it, but a hand landed on top of his. Was that surprising anymore, to be honest?

"Don't open it, don't touch it," he hears and knew the words immediately were from Alan Gustafson. It didn't one bit surprise him to see the crew chief attempt to stop him, given their discussions and what they'd been through together. However, the simple arrival of it or reading the contents wouldn't change his attitude so why stop him? 

"You've looked at it, though," he replies and the crew chief slowly nods his head around as Chase turns to face him. Alan could already knew what Chase was going to say as they'd been there before. That just sounded like a sad revelation. "So it's from Alison and it's a note of threatening given her escape. So basically that means that she's on the property somewhere but like always, they haven't found her? But yet hey, it's safer for me to not know that detail and to not see the note..."

"I didn't mean it in anyway shape or form like that, Chase." Chase glances up at Alan, now curious as to the next excuse that was going to slip from his lips. Was there anything that would work anymore? "I was going to tell you after the session was over. I was going to suggest that a couple of us guys stay with you through the rest of the evening just to make sure that you keep your wits about you. I was going to suggest taking the envelope to the NASCAR hauler. I was ready to do what was necessary...." Chase's eyes fall back to the ground, now feeling guilty about the whole situation. Maybe Alan had a better grasp than he did about the situation. 

"I'm sorry...." Alan crosses his arms as he locks his eyes on Chase, knowing he couldn't move on from this conversation without saying his reasoning for his approach. He felt offended by the accusations already, and knew he wouldn't rest without clearing his name. 

"It's clear these notes and everything about Alison bugs you – I saw that on Thursday firsthand, I saw that when she went after you in the hauler. Heck, I was almost at the receiving end of a bullet – and don't make a single comment about that. I know safety is the most important thing and I'm focused on that. I'm also trying to do what's best for you, and I felt not letting you see the contents would be advised." Chase kept his eyes focused towards the ground, knowing Alan wasn't moving a single inch. Maybe there was reasoning to what he was saying after all, though.

"You're right. I don't need to see it and ponder what it means and what she'll do because like you said, she's not going to touch me. Everybody in this garage area – every team member off every team, every official, even fans knows what she looks like and has an eye out for her. She's going to be caught and it's going to be over." Alan smiles a little, nodding his head. For once, he felt there was progress being made.

"Thank you. Now, can we get back to discussing the car? I know you have a truck race to go watc-"

"Have you seen the radar?" Alan lets out a sigh, nodding his head. It wasn't pretty, no matter who you asked it seemed. "Do you really think there's going to be a race looking at that?"

"Stranger things have happened, right?" Chase rolls his eyes as he reaches back, grabbing the small screen.

"This isn't going to be one of those cases, Alan. But, for the what's it worth, it'll give us time to figure out what we're missing..."