Chapter 74: Food City 500

With everything that had happened, Chase went into Sunday hoping for a good day. Perhaps he could win. Victories always made you feel better no matter what, right? 

But just like the week had gone, it wasn't meant to be his weekend either. Michael McDowell got loose on Lap 4, collecting Chase among others. Sarina was already cursing up a storm on the pit box, even with both Jordan and Josh trying to calm her down.

"Mcfuckell finally qualifies good and he still can't drive a wooden screw!" She lets out, visibly frustrated. It was seemingly the last straw for what had been a very trying week for the couple. 

The team made as many repairs as they could, losing a couple laps in the process, before going back green flag racing. The day didn't look to be improving as Chase began complaining of an exhaust leak, telling the team they better fix it next caution. That yellow came at Lap 45, which was the scheduled competition caution. Rather than time to make repairs, the red was flown for rain.

"I feel terrible," Chase says as he stands on pit road with Kenny Francis. "I couldn't see or do shit. I thought I was clear, but nope – somebody else had better ideas. I literally don't get what happened there."

"You met the class clown," Kenny comments, earning a couple chuckles. "There was nothing you can do. We will salvage what we can and move onto Richmond. Josh has an idea to fix the leak so we will do that once we go back racing. If it doesn't work, we're done." Chase nods his head before heading off with Sarina.

Rain delay fun didn't take long to be found, following an offer from Brexton to come play with him. It was certainly a distraction from not only how the race started, but the weekend that was so far. Chase and Sarina almost denied the offer, both having seperate reasons of apprehension from what happened. However, they both accepted, with Sarina willing to try anything that would allow Chase to feel better - even if it was for a couple minutes. 

"Ah shit!" Samantha lets out from the kitchen after they had been there for awhile. It was a bit concerning as that was not an outburst they regularly heard when they were spending time together. "How does one forget to buy eggs if they're making cookies?" Sarina shrugs her shoulders.

"We've got none or I'd help you out," Sarina offers, having known their fridge was real low in supplies for the weekend. Neither had bothered to put a list together, with both having their thoughts all week focused on other things - reasonably so. 

"Why don't you girls go to the store?" Chase suggests, catching them both off-guard considering the past week. They thought he would be doing anything to keep them close as possible to him. They thought there'd be no way he would let Sarina out of his sight. What was happening? Was this really a good idea? "I'll watch Brexton."

"Are you sure about that?" Samantha questions and Chase nods his head. He looks over to where the young boy was playing with some toys, thinking back to earlier in the week. He had to make sure that Brexton got his toy truck back soon. 

"I can keep my eye on him." Sarina, meanwhile, looked like a bucket of nerves. There was only one thing she could think about with Chase being alone. Perhaps it was because she was having nightmares of what he had gone through at her hands.

"What about Alison?" Sarina wonders as Chase takes a long deep breath. He didn't need that reminder right now. He was trying to move forward from that. He was trying to forget about everything that happened. He was trying to ensure no more reminders of the pain experienced. 

"I'll be fine," he assured her. "Besides, I have everybody around here on the lookout. Go and have some girl time..."

Okay." Sarina then gives Chase a small kiss. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

The girls get ready and head out soon after, leaving Chase and Brexton to the spread of toy cars on the floor of the motorcoach. It didn't take long for the girls to reach the car, or head out set for a trip to the store. However, there were other thoughts on Samantha's mind. Perhaps it was why Chase had insisted in allowing them to have some time alone without a child present.

"You know that you can talk to me always...." She casually let out, catching Sarina's gaze immediately. That should be a given with how close they had gotten in the short time she had been driving for Kyle. If anything, she had grown closer to Samantha than Kyle. "I heard the hesitation with Chase in your voice."

"Can you blame me given the past week?" Sarina questions and Samantha shakes her head no. She actually wished she did not get that reminder in having heard glimpses of what happened and being horrified enough by those. 

"I don't know what I'd do in that situation. I'd probably go crazy." Sarina knew that feeling, but for other reasons. 

"I almost did in worry for what she was going to do to me. Then it changed in worry, panic, fear for Chase when she told me details." Samantha glances over confused. She had heard pieces, but Sarina's confession drew more confusion as to the layers of the story. How far had Alison gone in being evil? 

"I heard that Chase had contact with her all week..."

"If she saw him, I was fine and saved. She used me as leverage to get to him." Samantha felt an instant wave of shock in hearing that small detail. She was almost scared to ask the next question. 

"I don't want to know, do I?" Sarina lets out a sigh, shaking her head no. She didn't want to say it, but she needed to get it out to someone and knew Sam wouldn't tell anyone.

"She sexually assaulted him, Sam. She made him kiss her. She made him enjoy bodies rubbing against each other. Then, in front of me, she stuck her hand down his pants and rubbed him. It's one thing to feel physical pain, but it's another feeling and watching that." Samantha takes a deep breath, trying to keep her wits about her as she shakes her head in pure disgust. That was certainly the bottom of things she expected to be shared by Sarina in this trip to the store.

"Sweetheart, I don't even know what to say...."

"I felt like I was going to be sick – heck, Chase has gotten sick over the thought of it. I felt violated, betrayed – but yet it was him going through it and not because he had chosen to." Samantha takes a careful deep breath. She knew she could not even begin to understand the feelings that Sarina was having, but knew something needed to be said if she was opening the box.

"It's understandable because of how much you love him, and how much you care about him, and that bond. It's like she broke that privacy barrier." Sarina nods her head as she looks down at her ring. She still couldn't believe the moment when it had been ripped off of her finger from Alison. 

"When we first saw each other afterwards, he didn't say a single word. He just slipped the ring back on my finger, holding my hand, completely silent." Sarina glances up and at Samantha. She felt her world beginning to crumble around her, the same tears that she had shed upon being reunited with him. How was she supposed to move forward? "He's always been the strong one. He's always helped me. Now it's role reversal and I feel helpless..." Samantha reaches over, placing a hand on Sarina's.

"Just be there. Listen to him, hold him, comfort him, let him cry, make him feel safe. It sounds so simple but that's all it takes. He will come around when he's ready." Sarina nods her head, hopeful, feeling her heart cringe. She didn't want to remember this moment, but had seen it replayed in her mind constantly since then. 

"The worst feeling is knowing my touch scares him. I went to kiss him at the hospital, and he pulled away initially. He won't say it, but it affected him. He can't stand that simple touch now. Its a reminder, I guess..."

"He'll come around, Sarina. Give it time. Take a slow, be assuring, comfort his fears. You'll reach that understanding with him."