Chapter 66: Kyle's Visit

Tuesday April 10, 2018 – Charlotte, North Carolina

Chase hears a knock on the door, and just lets out a sigh. He didn't want to move, just hoping the person would go away. He already felt enough blame on his shoulders – and as much as worry consumed him, guilt was catching up. How could he face anyone?

Taking a deep breath, he makes his way to the door, slowly opening it.

"Hey," he says quietly backing away immediately as Kyle makes his way inside the house. Chase swallowed the lump that formed immediately in his throat in the process as he shut the door. How could he face the person who truly believed in Sarina as much as he did from the beginning? It was easy to push off for those who didn't know her or her story well, but Kyle was a different story.

"Hey," Kyle replies as he turns back around to face Chase. They hadn't seen each other in the past 48 hours since Sarina went missing. It was not normal for them to not cross paths in some way since Sarina started driving for KBM. It felt weird to be standing here without her, both thinking about her. "I was headed to the shop and thought I'd stop by on the way. Have you heard anything?"

"Not a single update or clue," Chase answers, biting his tongue in the process. He wanted to spit it out and tell Kyle about the visits, the video, Alison's seduction, their deal – but he couldn't. The fear of Alison doing something to Sarina overrode everything in his mind.

"How is that even humanly possible? One woman can't simply make her way around without being recognized considering everybody is looking for her. You'd think that they'd find her by now." Chase nodded his head in agreement as he sat back on the couch. It was a question he continually asked himself. She was able to visit him regularly and not be found. How was she not spotted by anyone, someone, anywhere? 

"If that was the case, Alison never would've gotten her hands on Sarin-"

"Marcus feels so terrible, I can't even begin to describ-"

"I'm not upset with Marcus. I'm upset with the authorities because they can't damn well do their job. She's been running around for months now!" Chase takes a deep breath, knowing his own situation was running his tension higher than normal, and he wasn't about to risk slipping – but maybe that'd be to his benefit. Maybe Kyle could help in a way nobody had been able to so far.

"I don't know what to say...." Kyle glances towards the kitchen, noticing a lack of plates, cups, really anything. He had come to check for updates on Sarina, but also his heart felt concern for the man before him in seeing the current state. He knew with whatever she was going through, they were both needed to be strong to help her through. "Please tell me you've been taking care of yourself...." Chase knew that wasn't going to be a smooth answer.

"I couldn't sleep last night. I kept waking up every hour, thinking about where she was, how she was, whether she'd be okay, and what Alison could possibly be doing to her." He also found himself contemplating his options, even trying to come up with a plan, and wondering just how far Alison was going to take things.

"Have you eaten?" Chase glances to the table, where a half-eaten mini pizza sat. That was all he had been able to get down before a trip to the bathroom occurred once again with flashbacks of the night before. "Chase...."

"I'm trying, but I just can't...." He takes a deep breath, once again feeling the disgust and guilt. Why couldn't he just say the words? "I want to believe, but it is getting harder."

"She's going to be okay..." Chase simply nods his head accepting. They both hear the front door crack slowly, instant nerves forming, but watch them relax as Samantha entered with Brexton.

"I'm sorry, but he has to go pee," Samantha offers as Chase simply points down the small hall.

"She took him over to the park, figuring he could play while we talked," Kyle comments after the pair were out of earshot. "I'm worried just as much as you are – so is Sam. It's hard at times because how do we look at Brex as if nothing is wrong?" Chase shakes his head, not even sure where to go with that since he could barely handle himself. "But you have to believe me – she will be fine and you need to take care of yourself."

"I'll try...." Kyle nods his head accepting as he watches Brexton come running down the hall.

"Chase!" Brexton lets out as he rushes over, jumping up on his lap. Kyle just glanced over at Samantha, who looked back with uncertainty. Was this really the right thing to be happening right now in knowing the state that Chase was in?

"Hey buddy," Chase says with a small smile. How could you look at him and not smile?

"Sarina?" Chase takes a deep breath, resisting all urges to let down his defenses in front of Brexton. What do you say to a child? How do you tell him his best friend was missing?

"She's not here right now – she went away with a friend." He almost puked in saying the words as Kyle watched on. He could see the emotional turmoil on Chase's face. 

"Brexton, why don't we go back to the park?" Samatha offers, having seen Chase's reaction as well.

"I like Chase...." Brexton rambles off as Samantha glances back towards Kyle. What were they supposed to do? They couldn't very well say the truth to him.

"It's okay Sam," Chase comments as he looks into Brexton's eyes. Being with him then, he could see why Sarina never gave up an opportunity to babysit for Sam or Kyle. "Did you have fun at the park?"

"Big slide!" Chase lets his eyes go wide in surprise as Brexton smiles. He watches the little boy reaches in his pocket, pulling out some cars. "Daddy car, Uncle Denny car, Uncle Kurt car, Chasey car..." Chase smiles as it surprised him that Brexton even had one of his own. He began to wonder what Kyle's reaction was when Brexton got it. "Sarina truck."

"Those are awesome. Now, who wins the race?" A big smile forms on Brexton's face as he pulls out another one.

"McQueen!" Chase chuckles as he had to admire the effort, and knew where they came from given Kyle's toys for Brexton at home.

"He is pretty cool, huh? Now, does Sarina beat daddy and me?" Brexton nods his head. "Of course..."

"I love Sarina. She my girl..." It was now time for another surprised face, even if Chase felt a bit of heartbreak in hearing it. It taking everything in him to not break down right at that moment.

"I love her, too. She's amazing, Brex." He feels a couple tears forming in his eyes as he glances down at the cars in Brexton's hand.

"Alright Brexton, it's time to go...." Samantha starts again, having seen the emotions.

"I come again?" Brexton asks and Samantha nods her head. "Yay! Bye Chase!"

"Bye Brexton," Chase says as he slowly puts him down, watching him run back off with Samantha.

"Are you okay?" Kyle asks and Chase nods his head, trying to keep the strong face on for him. "Remember what I said."

"I will," Chase answers. "And Kyle, thanks for bringing him by. He can make anybody smile." Kyle smiles as he watches Samantha walk out the door with Brexton.

"That's what scares me for when he goes to school." Chase laughs as he watches them all leave together. He then goes to get up, feeling something by his side. He reaches down the cushion, picking up the toy truck. Letting out a sigh, it must've fallen out of Brexton's pocket as he was leaving.

"Don't worry Brex – you'll get to play with her again." He then takes a deep breath, walking over to the TV stand and placing the truck on one of the shelves, before texting Kyle that he had it.