Chapter 57: "Why else would I be in my firesuit?"

Monday March 27, 2018 – Martinsville Speedway

"Are you going to watch the race from my pit box?" Sarina questions as they come out of the NAPA hauler, both dressed in their respective firesuits. 

Sarina felt so many nerves in seeing him dressed and ready to go in knowing what had happened just a couple days ago. Were they really doing this right now? However, she knew complaining wouldn't get her anywhere so here they were, ready to go for the make-up event.

"I'm going to try and get done what I need to do as quickly as possible and make it in time," he answers, knowing there were a couple places he needed to visit for sponsors first. He had debated canceling them - for selfish purposes, that was, so he could ensure that he got to see her race. He would have a good reason, given the pain he was feeling and what he had gone through.

"Just take it easy, okay?" He nods his head, leaning in for a quick kiss. The words did not surprise him one bit given the nerves that seemingly radiated off of her right now. "I'll try and join Alan for your race – but remember what I said."

"Stop reminding me...." They then head off in separate directions, ready to tackle what the day had to offer.

Given Morgan wasn't in the trailer, he made his way to the garage area, wondering if she was there with the guys, or simply hadn't shown up yet. Maybe if she wasn't there, it meant he was free from those aforementioned responsibilities. Regardless, it wasn't a bad idea to check in with Alan anyway.

"Is this real what I am seeing right now?" Alan questions as Chase makes his way over. The crew chief had expected to be made aware from the bosses of their fill-in driver for the event. "I mean, you're seriously ready to go for today as if nothing happened?"

"Absolutely," Chase answers, surprised by the crew chief's reaction. He expected the worries from Sarina, but not the man before him. "Why else would I be in my firesuit?" Alan felt every bit of concern watching in response.

"Are you insane?" Chase almost chuckled, considering everything lately. Some people may beg to differ considering everything that had gone on, right? 

"I'm not, but rather I'm fine and I can run today without a single problem. So before you freak out and give me a lecture, let's just focus on business here." Alan crosses his arms as he glances up and down his driver. He was trying to do his job, but yet he couldn't shake the past couple weeks from his thought process. 

"How can I do that considering what has happened lately?" Chase just shrugs his shoulders. It seemed to be part of the norm, something that got stranger with each passing week. 

"I do that every day, right? Everybody tells me to not worry about Alison or Chris, and everything is going to work out. Why should today be any different? I mean, I ran Daytona the day that I crashed the plane – at least I had a day to relax and recover in between." A smirk forms on Chase's face as he thinks about the previous night with Sarina. The massage was nice, but certainly the other offers there worked nicely. Estrogens were released, as she put it, helping that healing.

"I'm still worried about you, but if you say you're ready to go, then what else can I do? Can you just promise me that you'll say something on the radio if it gets to be too much?" Chase nods his head, accepting. "And they haven't caught Alison at all?"

"Not that I've heard yet." Alan could only roll his eyes in response.

"Shannon and I were talking about it last nig-"

"Great bedsroom tal-"

"She has to have someone on the inside helping her if you're asking us. How else does she drop you off a note at each track? How else does she sneak in the hauler in California? How else does she get your hands on you Saturday night here? I don't know whether it's a security guard, or an official, but someone has to be helping her." Chase crosses his arms, hating the thought someone would work with Alison on a plan such as hers. It just seemed sick in his mind.

"But who, Alan?" Alan shrugs his shoulders, not knowing how it'd be possible in his mind even if he had thought about the possibility. 

"It could be any official or any security officer for all we know, right? I mean, we don't know many of them that well – not that I want to, either." Chase chuckles a little. "It's just it seems very odd that she can do that so easily despite everybody having a description of her and looking for her."

"She snuck into Hooters right under everybody's noses, too." Alan nods his head, remembering that experience. "Can I be honest for a second?" Alan nods his head once again, carefully. The thought simply scared him in knowing Chase's history. "I'm trying to listen to whatever everybody is saying and looking ahead, not letting her bother me. But the fact she brought a plane down, the fact she laced my drink, the fact she was able to almost get her hands on me in the trailer, and the fact she made me fall on my ass here is not very comforting at all. I'm probably more afraid that I am willing to admit to anybody."

"And I've told you – that's reasonable and acceptab-"

"Not when you have the thought of Chris possibly getting off scrap free, and that scaring the crap out of Sarina." Alan places a hand on his shoulder, knowing the words needed to be stated for both of their sakes. It was enough to deal with one fear, but yet even uglier to throw another in too.

"I know you want to be strong for her, and do what you need to do for her – but Chase, you have to realize sometimes you can't be superman and sometimes you need that back in return. It's okay to let your guard down and accept you can't do it all. It's okay to admit to Sarina that it's hard to be strong for her right now because of what's going on because she'll get it.." Chase nods his head, accepting.

"Thanks..." He then watches Morgan head over their way. "I'll see you later on today. Let's kick some ass, alright?"

"Absolutely."