Chapter 13: California Bound

Thursday, February 1, 2018 – Kern County Speedway

Sarina leans back against the car as they stand in tech lane prior to practice later on that day.

Unlike last week, they had got out of North Carolina in a timely fashion and were able to arrive at the track early, set to take full advantage of the ample practice time. Being Sarina's first KBM Late Model race of the year, she knew she had to leave a good impression. Besides, it'd be the best way to put last week's disappointment behind her.

"There's something odd about this situation," Sarina hears as she watches Kyle walk over with Brexton in his arms. She could only imagine what was on his mind. "I mean, you in a firesuit with a racecar – that's no surprise." He then turns to Chase. "But yet, you're here, no firesuit, no racecar. I also haven't seen Ricky walking around either."

"And that seems odd?" Chase questions, caught a little off-guard by the comments. It certainly wasn't the first time for the occasion, as it was no secret Chase loved attending events even when he wasn't driving. Sarina, meanwhile, had immediately focused in on Brexton, making faces at him which caused him to laugh.

"Given the news that came out the past couple weeks, wouldn't you agree?" However, in this case, Chase couldn't help but nod his head accepting. Admittedly, he had talked about coming out to possibly shake the rust off ahead of the season with this race, but last week's events put a wrench in those plans - in more ways than one.

"Ricky's plans for this year with his new team are totally up to him, when it comes to what races they're going to run. I guess they decided to forego running this and wait a couple wee-"

"You'd think Chandler would want to come stand up for himself at this end of the country after winning Speedfest, though." Chase nods his head in agreement, as he was caught off-guard not seeing Chandler Smith on the entry list, among others. 

"You could say the same for Bubba Pollard, too." Kyle crosses his arms – with Sarina having taken Brexton out of his arms – as he glances through the cars lined up in tech, surveying the competition.

 "Preston...."

"He's got a lot of talent. I was watching him closely last week and he equals the expectations. It's not just luck. He has the speed in the car, but the talent to know what to do with it. Chris didn't give him any breaks. If you want someone to keep an eye on, that's where my eyes will be – him and Majeski."

"You can never count out Majeski." Chase nods his head in agreement. 

************************Halfway through the practice, Chase makes his way to the top of the grandstands, stopwatch in hand. With a full view of speedway, his eyes immediately traced over the various cars. He watched Sarina for a while, before watching Kyle, Preston, Ty, and a couple of the others. His mind immediately began to pick up on spots where he believed both Sarina and Kyle could be better, but spots where they were certainly stronger in return.

Taking his phone out of his pocket, he sends a text message to Rudy Fugle with some of the notes in mind, smiling back in the response that he appreciated the feedback. He may not be set to contend himself, but he was going to give his girl the best opportunity to succeed.

He was set to head down the steps to grab a drink during the quick break, when he noticed a piece of paper. A little confused, he reaches over and picks it up. It only increased his confusion as he saw his name written on the piece of paper. It was like it was meant for him - but how would they know he'd be here? 

"That's strange," he comments, wondering if it had fallen out of his pocket by accident. But then again, he never had anything in his pockets before.

Sitting down, he slowly unfolds the piece of paper, revealing the typed up note inside.