Chapter 40: Stratosphere 200

Sarina stood on pit road, leaning back against the truck, arms crossed, frustration laced.

There was no denying she had a quick truck and was able to run up front, actually winning the first stage. She also kept herself in contention through the second with a top-five. Although she started the last stage well, it all fell apart as a truck that was certainly supposed to finish in the top-five crossed the line in 12th after a pair of poor executed restarts.

Chase walks over, simply wrapping his arms around her and pulling her close. If there was anyone that could relate to how she was feeling right now, it was him. He had been in her shoes unfortunately before, and knew the weight that fell onto her shoulders in looking back at the night that could've been. 

"That sucked," she states clearly as she looks into his eyes and he simply nods his head back in return, sympathizing with her frustration. What else was there to be said? He already knew nothing he offered in return would cure what she was feeling right now. 

"You had a good tru-" he starts and she lets out a sigh. That was a great reminder of what could've been, in knowing she hadn't taken advantage. She knew from how long she had been in the business - you had to take advantage of every opportunity you got. 

"I had a good truck, I ran up front all night, but oh no I fucked up and finished 12th. That's just great, right? On a night where I should've easily walked away with a top-five finish, I fuck up a pair of restarts and finish 12th. What do you call that shit?" Chase understood it was her frustration showing through as he rubs her shoulders. He knew he shouldn't had said those words as now she just found a new edge. 

"Take a deep breath, count to 10...." She tries to follow his advice as she just shakes her head. Every second that passed by was just another opportunity for a replay of those restarts to go through her mind.

"I just can't believe that I did tha-"

"You're still lear-"

"That was last yea-"

"You're still learning, and there's going to be tough lessons. Why does Kyle make it look so easy? Why can Johnny and Brett just go execute like it's nothing? Simple – they're both experienced. They have tons of laps under their belt, been in those situations before, and know how to work the truck draft to their advantage. You will get better with practice." She rolls her eyes, knowing he was just saying these words to try and make her feel better. He should know better than anyone they didn't mean anything right now. "Sarina....."

"It's just annoying to watch good finishes just get thrown away like that!" He nods his head, accepting, as he continually rubs her shoulders. He could see the day that was at Dover flashing through his own mind in remembering he was feeling exactly like she was right now. 

"I know, I've been there. But take the good away from the night. You were able to run up front, have the speed, and you learned what you can and cannot do on a late-race restart. Now moving forward when you come back here, or go to Michigan, or Pocono, you will know what to do." She lets out a sigh, slowly nodding her head. Perhaps that was a positive - but it didn't cure what happened tonight.

"I just hate giving away finishes like that..."

"I know. Hey, here's another bright side. You've got a couple wee-"

"I'd rather be racing every weekend." He lets out a sigh, knowing how she felt about that, and could already see her escaping to run some late model events during these weekends. However, selfishly, he wanted her at the track with him. Was that a crime? 

"But your next race is at Martinsville. We both know how well you run there." A smile forms on her face as she thinks back to her first career victory. Perhaps there was some shining light on the other side right now. 

"You wouldn't mind if we got another clock, would you?" He chuckles, shaking his head no. While some people may be driven crazy each time they chimed, it'd be the perfect reminder to have in their house. 

"Everybody can use three grandfather clocks in their house – maybe even four." She laughs back in response. 

"I wouldn't mind the added décor." She then leans in, lightly kissing his lips. While she had put off him coming over to comfort her originally in thinking nothing would come from it, the conversation had gone better than expected. "Thank you."

"How about we go get you changed, and get out of here?" She nods her head, accepting, as they head off.

As planned, they both headed to the concert with Ryan and Darrell as discussed. While it was clear both Ryan and Darrell had the time of their lives, Chase couldn't honestly see himself falling for that style of music. They were good, but he'd rather stick with his country.

But it all didn't matter, as his arms stayed wrapped around Sarina's shoulders all night as she leaned back in his arms, both of them satisfied with each other's company.