Chapter 68: Nashville

Wednesday April 11, 2018 – Nashville, Tennessee

After landing the plane, Chase followed Alan and Jordan across the short parking lot, as the group get in the rental car that Alan had already arranged.

Earlier that morning, they received a phone call from investigators requesting Chase to come to Nashville to discuss Sarina's situation in person where it happened. To him, it seemed like a waste of time as he was betting Sarina was in Charlotte given Alison's frequent visits. Furthermore, he didn't want to screw up those visits.

Knowing he couldn't make the trip alone, Alan immediately offered to go – having been at Chase's house at the time of the phone call. Furthermore, it seemed the crew chief had some more time on his hands right now.

"Do me a favor – do not try and attempt stupid shit anymore," Chase had told Alan when he heard about the suspension. He heard the reason, and immediately put the pieces together – they tried a similar situation to Kevin's and obviously it failed. He didn't know whether to be shocked of having two penalties on a year, or the fact they tried something another team was caught with.

Regardless, the happenings there didn't change the friendship values because no matter what, he and Alan would always have each other's back given the events that transpired, friendship, and the fact he did believe in what they had. Alan was only doing his job trying to win, right?

"We just want to go over some things further," the investigator states as Alan crosses his arms. Like his driver, he believed this was a total waste of time. They already knew everything they could about Alison and more. How was this conversation going to help find her and Sarina? 

"He's sick with worry and you're wanting to push him more?" Alan questions as the investigator glances over Alan's direction. The statement was yet another reason why Alan believed they should not be doing this, and had offered to come. He knew Chase could use the support. 

"I can understand your frustration with the department, and I sympathize. Hence why we're trying to do whatever is possible. Please let us do our job..." Alan rolls his eyes before focusing back in Chase's direction. If they were doing their job, they would not be in this situation. She would have been locked away months ago. "Alison's path of record is interesting. What type of place could you see her focusing a kidnapping on given tha-"

"You have police report upon police report upon police report – along with a psychological evaluation. Couldn't you just use that?" Chase hears his phone go off, reading the text message immediately. He wished they could trace the location of a text message right now, but also was glad they couldn't read it as he typed back a response. He could only imagine what they would say if they had learned of what happened the past two nights. 

"Mr. Gustafson, could you please allow me to do my job?" Chase swallows the lump in his throat as he sets his phone on the table. Maybe this was the chance he should take and say something. There was no way he could keep doing this. He told himself that last night. Why wasn't he saying something already? "Is there a problem, Mr. Elliott?"

"No, the text message is nothing to be concerned of," Chase comments, knowing he could lie through his teeth if necessary but almost wished he wasn't doing that right now. Every part of him was saying he should be telling the full story of what had happened. "To answer your question, there's no pattern to location or matter with her. It's always a mix of stuff. The initial kidnapping was a set of abandoned offices at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but she also did an abandoned warehouse in Atlanta."

"And she hasn't been in contact with any other incidents in this state, correct?" The investigator asks and Chase shakes his head no. "Okay..."

"Anything else or can you stop wasting both of our time?" Alan questions. "I mean, you should be out looking for her-"

"We have people on the jo-"

"If we put both of you, that's two more. Maybe you'd actually accomplish something here!" Chase feels his stomach flip flop as pictures from last night fill his mind again.

"I'm sorry...." He immediately leaves the room, finding the first bathroom as he does, letting everything out right away.

"Chase?" Jordan asks as he follows, stopping in the doorway. "Hey, are you okay?" Chase sits down on the floor, as he takes a deep breath. "Chase...."

"I haven't been sleeping, I haven't been eating as I can't eat – I'm just a mess." He glances up at Jordan, knowing there was something very important he was leaving out but how could he say those words? "The other day I was thinking about what you said, and how strong she is, and how she's so amazing. You told me to think of the good times and remember that to get through this." He glances towards his phone, making sure the messages were closed, as he loads an audio file. "I laughed at her when she saved that clip of me singing to her while we were away in Amsterdam, but yet the only thing that seems to be saving me right now is this clip I saved of her..." Jordan looks over a little confused, but also relieved. In having this conversation, he could see Chase calming down immediately.

"What is it?" Chase smiles as he presses the play button.

"When I was in Las Vegas for pageant week, she left me a voice mail so I could hear her voice, think about her, feel connected even separated. She told me how much she loved me, how she wanted to be with me, and then sang me a song – one call away. I wish I could just get that one call now that she's okay." Jordan smiles a little as he listens to the clip.

"You guys are more adorable than I have words for...." Chase chuckles as he closes his eyes.

"You know what the odd thing is? Pageant week is when Alison entered our lives for the first time...." His voice trails off as he glances back down at the phone. "Even the sweetest most romantic moments can't be our own anymore because she.....she...." Chase feels the emotions building again, wanting to spit out the words but unable to. Instead, the phone goes flying across the bathroom, shattering against the wall.

"Chase, it's going to be okay..." Jordan wraps an arm around him, holding him as the tears begin sliding down Chase's cheeks.