Chapter 19: Advance Auto Parts Clash

Sunday, February 11 – Daytona International Speedway

It was going to be a long busy day, but that part of the gem in Daytona Speedweeks. It started off solidly in Daytona 500 qualifying as he would end up 12th in round one, followed by moving up to 10th in the second. It'd set him up to start fifth in the second Duel on Thursday evening. However, he couldn't admit but feel a little off in watching the other three qualify first, third, and fifth – setting them up to start all together in the first Duel.

"I swear I didn't do some trick or miss some trick they were doing," Alan confesses following the session. He could only share the disbelief that Chase was feeling right now. "I mean, to be fair, all the cars were built pretty equal." He then glances back at his notes. "Did you say that it drove well in practice?"

"It felt good by itself, and it felt real comfortable despite being in the middle of that one draft," Chase comments as Alan shakes his head a little confused. It didn't seem anything was adding up no matter how he tried to approach it. 

"I got nothing – unless the adjustment we made to get you a little more comfortable actually slowed you down." Chase shrugs his shoulders, not even sure as he looks over the starting line-up for his Duel. "You've got Kyle, Denny and Erik all starting together up front. You know that's going to be a Toyota trai-"

"Grab the back of it and use it to stay in position until the end?" Alan nods his head as that wasn't a bad plan. Besides, what else were they supposed to do?  "William and Alex said that the runs you get in the draft with the new package feel greater than what they've seen or are used to. So no matter what, if we have a good handling car, we can get those runs and we can make the moves. We'll be fine..."

"I hope you're right because I'm baffled right now." He then glances at his watch. "Let's get ready for the Clash, and try to win that. We'll learn what we can, see what happens, make some notes, and hopefully Thursday goes well."

Sarina catches up with the girls, taking her seat alongside them as Natalie looks over

Sarina catches up with the girls, taking her seat alongside them as Natalie looks over. It was odd to be headed this way to the grandstands to watch the event, rather than the pit box. She knew how fun it could be watch an event from this perspective once and awhile, but could she handle it for one of his races? 

"We were beginning to wonder if you were coming," Natalie comments as Sarina just shrugs her shoulders, smile not even fading one bit from her face. There was nothing that was going to do that, despite the internal worries. 

"It took longer than I thought," she offers as the other girls immediately chuckle with glances towards each other. They didn't need anymore details to catch the reference. 

"Did you go give Chasey a good luck quickie?" Danica breaks out, causing Sarina to look over immediately shocked – but her red cheeks gave her away. There was no way she was keeping this hidden in any way or form. "Oh my gosh...."

"Is it that obvious?" The other girls nod their head yes in return as she lets out a sigh. "Please don't say anything...."

"As long as you promise that I get your ride if you get pregnant," Natalie offers as both Leilani and Danica chuckle. Sarina lets out a sigh as it immediately brought up January memories, but she couldn't let the others see as she just faked a chuckle herself. There was no way she was about to share those details, or even touch those emotions. Why did it still hurt to think about?