Chapter 10: Surprise Success

Thursday January 25, 2018 – Tucson Speedway

Chase Elliott walks out to pit road, giving a couple nods and waves to various people who were shouting hellos, before making his way over to where he was headed. Running a hand from the tail of the car to the roof, he stops as he reaches his destination.

"Are you nervous?" He questions, catching Sarina's attention as she glances over his way. She had been leaning against the car, watching everyone else take to the track for qualifying. It had been interesting to see the gains some drivers had made since practice, meaning it'd set-up for an interesting field that night.

"I wouldn't say nervous," she answers as she wasn't ever the type to be nervous. Being behind the wheel of a racecar was always where she felt most comfortable. It was why it became the driving success when she wanted to get away. "We just didn't get as much practice as I would've hoped." Chase nods his head, accepting. 

With her morning photo shoot and the late notice, they had arrived after everybody was done the first practice session of the day. While they were set to have ample time in the second, a variety of problems with the new car ultimately saw them only make a handful laps. Knowing it was now or never to put down the best lap of their lives, it'd be understandable if confidence was lacking.

"Ricky knows what he is doing, though," Chase offers, catching her attention once again. They both knew that without him saying that. It was why they had been both successful in the past. However, a small boost of confidence in the moment never hurt. "He always could set up a car without much offering in retur-"

"He can still do that, Chase," Sarina cuts him off, offering a smile as they look over to where Ricky was standing talking to some crew members. A glance at the boss was all she needed as it represented what she felt. "That's why I'm not nervous, but rather confident because of who were surrounded with." She then places her hand on top of his, both of them looking into each other's eyes. "Tonight is just a trial run. The 50 laps for tonight are meant to set us up for the next two nights. We're just seeing where we stand tonight so we know what to work on tomorrow, and Saturday. Remember, all that matters is Saturday and those 150 laps. That's where the Chilly Willy is won."

"I have every bit of confidence in the world in you, and Ricky, and this team." He leans in, kissing her lips. Enough conversation, time to let her driving do the talking. "You're almost up. Time to get set to go." She nods her head, accepting, taking a deep breath as she pulls the zipper on her firesuit all the way up.

Taking one final glance at the latest lap being laid down, she climbs in the car, pulling the belts over her shoulders. Chase reaches in, doing the belts up, making they were tight and snug. With a nod of the head, he puts the window net up, followed by a pat on the roof before walking away.

"Going to your usual spot?" Ricky questions and Chase simply nods in return. It should be obvious by now considering how many times he had followed the practice over the years. "Watch Pres-"

"Already on my radar," he answers. Ricky could only smile back in return. It was just like the old days together again.

Eyes focused on the speedway, he watches as Preston Pelltier comes out with a finger locked on the stop watch. Pressing the button in hand, his eyes were drawn to the full length of the corner, watching as he came through and gripped the center like nothing. Both laps in the books and a glance at the time, he knew that was the mark to beat.

His eyes didn't have time to be taken off the speedway as Sarina was the next car out, and he once again followed the same procedure. The lack of practice time didn't show at all, as she rotated through the middle of corner like it was nothing. A glance at the stop watch, a smile could easily be seen.