Chapter 280

As her eyes fluttered open, she felt the gentle touch of morning sunlight seeping through the cracks in the window and door.

The room remained cloaked in darkness, save for the warm breath that tickled her chest. Peeling back the covers, she prepared to rise from bed, only to discover the collar of her garments clasped tightly by a tiny hand.

With utmost care, she gingerly disentangled the small hand, afraid of disrupting its owner's sleep.

Within the confines of the bed lay a precious life—a girl adorned with golden locks, fair complexion, and adorable cheeks that still retained traces of baby fat. A sweet expression graced her sleeping face.

Lost in a blissful dream, a droplet of drool escaped the corner of her mouth, dampening the sheets.

Artoria draped the blanket over the sleeping child and stepped out of the room.

Stepping into the embrace of the morning light, she fixed her gaze upon the blaze of red-hued clouds decorating the horizon.

Reaching the estate's apple tree, she plucked a ripe fruit and proceeded to extract fresh milk from the cows grazing near the fence.

The estate, modest in size, lacked an abundance of servants. It consisted solely of Artoria and the child, living a simple and modest lifestyle.

With the intention of providing solace to war orphans, she had established an orphanage in Tintagel. Devotedly, she directed the majority of her kingdom's rewards towards the welfare of these children, retaining little for her personal needs.

Despite her noble lineage, she embraced a humble and frugal lifestyle.

Entering the room with the apples and milk in hand, she donned an apron and proceeded to peel the apples meticulously, one by one, using a small knife.

Adorning the wall behind her, a resplendent sight met the eye — the gleaming presence of a beautiful sword.

It was none other than the fabled Legendary Sword of Promised Victory, Excalibur.

The child was already awake, dressed in white pajamas. Her petite figure clung to the woman's apron, bouncing up and down while gazing at the towering stove.

"Mommy, mommy! What's on the menu for breakfast today?"

"Hmm, we have applesauce, bread, and milk," she responded, a smile gracing her face.

"Ah...? It's the same again?" The girl pouted, looking displeased, "I don't want to eat that."

"Well, what would you like to have, Mordred?" She set aside the knife and apple, scooped the girl up, and fixed her gentle blue eyes on her.

"Hmm..." Mordred pondered for a moment, her gaze eventually landing on the apron stretched across her mother's chest. She spoke up, saying, "I want to have mommy's milk!"

"You're already too big for that, don't be silly." she shook her head firmly, denying her request.

"Hmm... fine. Then I want to ride on mommy's shoulders!" The girl beamed as she made her suggestion.

"That's fine, but you have to stay still."

"Okay!"

She hoisted the girl onto her shoulders, then picked up the knife again and continued preparing breakfast.

Sitting atop her mother's shoulders, the girl hummed a melody and squirmed playfully. Just as she was on the verge of slipping off, she instinctively grabbed onto her mother's long golden locks.

"Ouch..." A pained expression crossed Artoria's face, "Mordred, please stop misbehaving. It hurts quite a bit!"

"Oh..." the girl immediately ceased her mischief.