Chapter 221

Shirou galloped through the starlit night on his horse, carrying the unconscious Arcueid in his arms. He hurried back to Cornwall along the twisting mountain paths, where the vivid, ever-changing lights from the north were clearly visible despite the mountain terrain.

Upon his return to Cornwall, he found the town engulfed in a tense and oppressive ambiance. Inside the royal palace, officials bustled about, consumed by their tasks.

Merlin, Morgan, and other court magi had already hastened to join the front lines with the army. Their presence was crucial, as without their help, the defense could not withstand the overwhelming power of the White Dragon's Holy Lance.

The officials bustling within the royal palace were not part of the military command, but instead belonged to logistical departments. Bedivere and Agravain were particularly notable; one managed the stability of the kingdom's operations while the other handled military equipment and supplies.

At the heart of it all, the most busiest person was unquestionably Guinevere, who supervised and coordinated every aspect of the city.

So, upon seeing Shirou's return, she felt relieved and was ready to hand over her duties. However, he insisted that she continue overseeing everything.

Shirou then quickly tended to Arcueid, who was unconscious, by carefully placing her on the bed and covering her with blankets. After making sure she was comfortable, he donned his armor and prepared to rush to the front lines.

Before he left, he solemnly handed the reins of the kingdom to Guinevere, climbed onto his trusty Dun Stallion and headed for the battlefield.

Watching him ride away, Guinevere was filled with mixed feelings, not really knowing how to process the situation. Although she didn't voice her agreement, she also didn't refuse. She walked back to her desk and returned to her duties.

The swirl of emotions inside her was hard to explain. She had always concealed her unique abilities, worried about being seen as different, and so she had always stayed in the background.

But now, the king had coaxed her out of hiding with his swords and whips and given her the freedom to use her unique talents.

Although the king had given her the freedom to use her abilities as she pleased, this was not what she really wanted. She had never considered using her talents before.

In some ways, the king could be seen as a cruel oppressor. He provided his subjects with the opportunity to freely express and exhibit their talents in a vast and open world, but at the same time, he was selfish and unkind in dismantling the familiar way of life of others.

The king was a riddle wrapped in mystery. One of his choices that particularly baffled Guinevere was his journey to the distant Dead Apostles Kingdom, a place teeming with danger, only to come back with a woman who was clearly not human!

For reasons she could not explain, Guinevere sensed a voice in her heart that affirmed this suspicion.

What perplexed her even more was that, despite being nothing more than an unconscious and lifeless shell, simply looking at the woman's face filled her with an inexplicable sense of fear—a strange, almost instinctive dread.

Guinevere pushed down the odd mix of feelings bubbling within her and focused on her duties. The king, with his intense and demanding nature, had placed her into the spotlight and closed off any means of retreat. She was stuck on this path, with no option but to march ahead.

....

Shirou hastened towards the northern battlefront, weaving through an extensive supply chain set up on-the-fly by the people of Cornwall.