Chapter 271

"My king, when do you plan to leave?" Artoria asked.

"Once all the necessary handovers have been completed, and every crucial detail has been explained, I will leave."

A brief pause followed, and then Shirou's smile returned, "I have even prepared my own coffin," he confessed. "When the time comes, I will claim that I succumbed to grave injuries sustained in the great war."

Artoria's frown deepened, her concern growing more palpable. "My king, how can you speak of such things? You mustn't curse yourself in such a manner," she protested, her voice filled with heartfelt worry. "You... You haven't been injured! And you won't die!"

His laughter broke through the seriousness of the moment, carrying a sense of unwavering confidence. "What is there to fear?" he chuckled. "No curse in this world can touch me." Silently, within the depths of his heart, he added, 'because my "evil" is the deadliest curse in the world.'

"But you shouldn't speak of such things," she gently whispered.

"Artie, can you believe it's been eight years since we first met?" he asked, his voice tinged with nostalgia.

She nodded, "Yes, my king. Eight years have passed since that fateful day."

He let out a sigh, "Eight years... It's incredible how time flies."

Curiosity flickered in her eyes as she asked, "What's troubling you, my king?"

Shirou hesitated for a moment before speaking his worries aloud. "It's nothing major, really... It's just that, all of a sudden, I realized I've spent the last eight years here. And now, the thought of returning home fills me with a strange mix of anticipation and apprehension. I can't help but wonder if I'll be able to readjust to my old life. Honestly, it's a bit overwhelming... Sorry, I didn't mean to burden you with my thoughts. I suppose having some free time on my hands after being so busy feels a bit unsettling."

"You will definitely be able to fit back in," she said earnestly.

His smile widened, "I appreciate your confidence, Artie. On another note, something interesting occurred to me in the past. It seems I've met you before, in my hometown."

Her brow furrowed in confusion. "Really? That's quite puzzling, my king. I don't recall anything of the sort."

Shirou chuckled, amused by the memory. "Perhaps I mistook someone else for you. You see, in that moment, you were swinging your sword at me."

"That wasn't me, I swear," she said solemnly. "I would never lay a hand on you, my king."

"I understand. Maybe it wasn't you," he replied with a smile.

Agravain and Bedivere hurriedly approached from a distance, prompting Shirou to curse under his breath. "I got caught."

As the two of them reached the scene, Bedivere expressed his concern anxiously. "My king, tomorrow is your ceremony. How can you be wandering around like this?"

"Alright, alright," Shirou chuckled, getting up from his seat. He then turned his head and whispered to Artoria, "I only shared those things with you. Please don't tell anyone else, or I'll be so embarrassed."

Artoria was taken aback as she watched Shirou and the other two leave. A question began to arise in her mind.

;Why did you say that to me, my king?' she pondered. "No, to be precise, he revealed his most genuine and vulnerable side only to me. Why? Could it be because of the trust we share?"

As for me...

No.

As long as you are safe, that's all that matters to me.