Chapter 219

As Shirou stepped into the capital city of the Dead Apostles, a red night veil draped over the entire area. The buildings and rooms were all empty, creating an eerie atmosphere.

Despite the unsettling surroundings, he remained unfazed as he continued walking forward. Suddenly, he noticed a middle-aged man adorned with armor and a crown standing nearby, silently observing him.

Shirou directed his attention to the middle-aged man and asked, "Who are you?"

The man was a stranger to Shirou, and he had never laid eyes on him before.

"I am the king of this kingdom," the man responded in a calm tone.

"I see. You must be Lamorak's father."

The dead king nodded in response.

"So, are you going to beg for mercy from me like the previous coward?"

The dead king shook his head and instead gestured towards the palace, saying, "Her Highness wishes to meet with you. Please follow me."

Acknowledging the king's words, Shirou followed him towards the palace.

The blood moon hung high in the sky, and the entire land was covered in a veil of blood mist. A kingdom with numerous buildings, yet empty of any people, appeared exceptionally eerie.

As they continued walking, he asked, "King Pellinore, where are the people of this kingdom?"

"The inhabitants have all been turned into blood bags and buried underground. They will be taken away when Her Highness departs," King Pellinore calmly replied.

Shirou nodded in understanding, "I see."

It was a gruesome reality - an entire kingdom of people turned into blood bags and buried underground to gestate as Dead Apostles. The situation was horrifying, but both kings maintained a stoic composure on their faces. It was impossible to discern what thoughts were running through their minds at that moment.

As they approached the palace, King Pellinore's expression became hesitant, and he asked, "King Arthur, I have heard that Lamorak is now serving under your command. How is he performing?"

"Lamorak's performance has been outstanding. He made significant contributions when I took over Londinium."

King Pellinore snorted, "So, even that waste has shown some improvement."

Shirou glanced at the King before asking, "You didn't choose to become a Dead Apostle willingly, did you?"

"No... I did make the choice of my own accord," King Pellinore responded, shaking his head. He promptly shifted the conversation, "King Arthur, may I ask what brings you to my realm? Even if your purpose is to vanquish us, I fear that the timing is less than ideal."

"I've come to recruit you," Shirou declared.

King Pellinore appeared taken aback by the statement and couldn't help but ask, "Would you mind repeating that?"

"Your hearing is fine, so there's no need for me to say it again."

King Pellinore let out a deep sigh. It was apparent that King Arthur's intentions were a bit overbearing, but the fact that he even considered recruiting Dead Apostles was beyond ludicrous. After all, the primary sustenance of Dead Apostles is human blood, so how could they possibly ally with their prey?

Feeling conflicted, King Pellinore remained silent as they approached the palace gates. As Shirou prepared to enter, King Pellinore gave a word of caution, reminding him to be careful.

Shirou stepped inside the palace, and darkness enveloped him like a shroud. The room was bathed in dim, flickering light, casting an eerie and unsettling vibe.