41

I left the hospital on Sunday, two days after I woke up. To my surprise, Lane drove me home. He made a quick stop at the post office to mail a college application and to pick up the new mixer Cole ordered. 

I asked him why he didn't just send an email to the college and he said that the college he was applying to preferred hard copies.

He told me he was applying to a couple different colleges and this was the last one on his list. He said he would decide which college he wanted to go to based on the ones that accepted his application. 

Lane had been offered a scholarship to a college to study computer science and something else but he declined it because he didn't want to go there. Our parents had more than enough money to get him into the college he wanted and our dad encouraged him to 'test the water a little bit'.

I hope he doesn't go too far and he still comes back for the holidays. I never really thought about missing Lane because I never thought he'd leave. Everything's happening so quickly, soon it'll be close to the end of summer and I'll be fighting to hold my champion title at the karate competition, hopefully with my sensei watching.

I haven't been to practice in a while. In fact, the last thing I did to practice was run a couple of miles in the morning with Martin. I'm gonna work harder, I don't want to slack off when it matters the most.

I'm trying not to look at the facts that say I have about two whole months left until the competition because if I do I'll keep telling myself that I have time and before I know it it'll be the big day. I like to train like the competition is in three days, it works for me.

As soon as I'm cleared by the doctors I am going to start going to practice again. No more slacking off.

Since it was the morning and Cole wasn't home, I convinced Lane to stop and buy breakfast. I wanted only a doughnut but he got me a breakfast sandwich too, it was good but not as good as my doughnut .

We got everyone else who was at the house food too. I got to pick donuts for everyone and Lane got a couple more sandwiches and coffees for them too.

I offered to help carry the food but Lane said I couldn't carry any of the coffees because I was clumsy. Ironically, Lane almost tripped when we were walking back. It was funny, I was imagining all the coffees in his hand spilling all over him.

When we got home Miles, Beck, and Kade were there. They came down immediately when they smelled the food. They completely ransacked the coffees in Lanes hands and I set the other stuff down on the kitchen table.

I opened the doughnut box and they walked over. "We got you guys doughnuts too." I said

Beck picked up his and smiled. "Look, mine has a guitar on it. That's so cool."

"Hazel thought you'd like it." Lane said

Beck's smile fell and he turned to me to glare. "I hate it actually."

Miles and Lane looked up from the doughnuts  and Kade gasped as he clutched his heart. 

"But you just said-"

"That was before I found out you had something to do with it." Beck said before walking over to the trash can and dropping the doughnut in.

"Not the food!" Kade screamed running over to the trash can.

"You owe me my money back." Lane said

Beck grabbed his sandwich and coffee before stomping upstairs and slamming his door.

"When you guys argue just leave the food out of it." Kade said looking into the trash can helplessly, trying to decide whether or not to stick his hand in there.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I turned to see that it was Miles. He smiled at me. "I like my doughnut , it has a skateboard on it and I love skateboards. Thank you Hazel."

"Your welcome." I said as I picked up my own doughnut. If Beck didn't want his then I don't care. He just wanted to be mean to make me cry but I wasn't going to.

"Kade, stop whining over the doughnut in the trash and come get yours before I eat it." Lane said

Kade got up and walked over, happily eating his doughnut unlike his twin. 

Sometimes it's hard to believe they're twins. They don't look or act alike. They were more similar in personalities when they were little but Beck was always a little more shy than Kade in public. They usually had the same thoughts so Kade would most of the time speak for both of them.

Martin said that Beck's just having a phase. But this 'phase' has been around far too much for my liking. Even though Beck was never a really nice person he used to be better than this. Now he seems to get ruder by the day. I'm not even that sure what I did for him to dislike me so much.

"Hey, I'm going to go ride my bike to the park." I said after I was done eating

"By yourself, after you just got released from the hospital!?" Kade ask dramatically

"You make it sound like she was just released from prison." Lane jokes

"Have fun." Miles says before going back to keeping Kade from stealing any of his food.

I head upstairs to take a quick shower and change my clothes. I don't want to smell like I just came from the hospital.

I head back downstairs and Lane hands me $10 for pocket money before I go to the garage to get my bike.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ride my bike yet but I'm going to anyway. It's not like I'm doing hard core exercise it shouldn't damage anything.

I just go really slow. Maybe Ed's working at the ice truck today, I could visit him and say hello. Maybe I'll see John, he likes to take his dogs there on the weekends around this time. I'll get him to admit that he missed me one way or another.

I hate being gone for too long, it leaves so much to catch up on.