12

I walk to the bathroom angrily. I throw my lunch box on the wall outside and walk in. I look in the mirror and try not to cry. Thank goodness no one's in here right now. 

I start pulling my hair. I remember when Martin told me that I would do that a lot when I was stressed as a little kid. 

I try to think of what to do but all I see is my reflection in red. I wanna hit something but I'm not going to because I'll get in trouble, which would make my day worse.

"Hazel?" I hear a familiar voice call my name.

"What?" I say a little more harshly then I meant.

"I got you some new clothes to wear." Katie walks in slowly holding a pile of clothes that I usually keep in my locker in case of an emergency like this.

"How'd you get it?" I ask her

"I asked Miles to open your locker for me." She says

I take it from her and walk to a stall to change. As I'm changing, Katie starts talking to me.

"Tyler said he was sorry, if that means anything to you." She says

Once she doesn't get a response she continues. "Next time, you can have a better seat. I'll find you a good one at the table."

I clench my fist. "I want my seat back." I say through gritted teeth

She doesn't speak for a while, but when she does she says, "But that's Andy's seat now."

My anger grows. "Last time I checked, I didn't give it to him."

"Please Hazel, can I have this. It's almost the end of the year. I've been sitting by you all year." Katie says

I roll my eyes in annoyance. "I don't care."

I'll find a different table to sit at. Maybe my brothers will let me sit at their table. When I finish changing I walk out and past Katie.

The bell rings telling me that lunch is over. I didn't even get to eat anything. I grab all my stuff and get ready to head to math class

Katie and I have classes down the same hall and we usually walk together, but today I guess not because when I look up I see her walking with Andy. Doesn't look like she's waiting for me.

I walk into math class with a bad mood. I felt like if anyone even talked to me, I would hurt them. I can't believe Katie chose that weirdo over me.

"Hey" Sam says as I sit down in my assigned spot next to him

"Shut up." I say

Sam raises his hands in defense. "Sorry."

I ignore him and lean my hand on my head as our math teacher passes out our test.

"What's wrong?" I hear Sam ask me

"Nothing" I mumble

"Well you better get over 'nothing' because you have to focus on this test." He says

I turn to face him. 

"If you're upset then you won't get a good grade. Just take a deep breath. I think that works for most people. At least that's what the school counselors tell everyone." Sam says

I listen to him and surprisingly I calm down. When Mr. Wallace, our math teacher, gets to our table he puts two thick packets on our table. We all pick up our pencils and begin.

***

The bell rings and everyone stands up to head to their last class of the day.