4

While riding my bike to Katie's house I stopped to buy candy. I walk into the store and see many people from my school. Students and teachers. I'm not surprised though. We're in the last two weeks of school. I'm pretty sure the kids only show up to take the last test this year.

One of my teachers told us that after the last test we only have 2 more days of school so we don't have to be there. I'm gonna stay for the last 2 days because I want to know my test score before next year and they give out test scores on the last day of school.

 I walk to the candy aisle and pick up two bags of candy. One is Katie's favorite and one is mine. I look at the prices, I should have enough for some drinks. I've got a five dollar bill, so if I add tax into it they'll be the right amount.

Before I left my house I searched my things to find money and when I couldn't I went to the kitchen to ask Cole for some. Cole is one of my most generous brothers and as long as you have a good enough reason to ask him for money he'll give it to you. Especially if it's for food.

After grabbing the drinks I start to walk out of the aisle, only to bump into someone. They're slightly taller than me. 

"Sorry." I mumble and move to the side to walk past them. They stretch out their hand to block me from leaving. That's when I finally look up to see who it is. My eyes widen slightly with recognition.  

"Hi Hazel." The person's evil voice comes

"Hi Vicky." I say quietly. Vicky is Beck and Kade's age. She also participates in the karate competition every year. She doesn't like me very much. She's not bad at karate, she usually makes the top four but she's never number one and that's because of me. Well I guess that is a reason to hate me.  

My brother Beck has had a crush on her since he was in fourth grade. That's probably the only reason he comes to my karate matches...well besides the fact that my parents make him come.

Vicky knows my brother has a crush on her and uses it as an advantage. Although they're not dating Beck says that he likes being the only man in Vicky's eyes. Whatever that means.

"What are you doing?" She asks with a sneer

"I'm buying things...at the store." I say slowly

She rolls her eyes. "No duh. Anyways is your brother here? I need him to do something for me." 

"No. I'm here by myself and as much as I would love to talk to you I gotta get going. I have places to be and things to see." I say

"Wait" She say grabbing my arm tightly.

A tiny squeak comes from my lips making her smirk. 

"Are you competing in the competition this year?" She asks

"I compete every year Vicky" I say

She makes a pretend shock face. "Oh my god, I wasn't sure you know with all the things going on with your sensi."

I clench my teeth and fist. "I have to go. It was nice talking to you." I say and walk the other way because she's still blocking the aisle.

I head to the check out center and buy my items. The cashier hands me my change and I walk out of the store. 

Thankfully my bike is still out here. Even though the place where I live isn't heavily populated, it's not uncommon for your things like a bike to be stolen if you leave next to a store for too long. 

When I get to Katie's house I put my bike in the garage and knock on the front door of her house. When the door opens I see Katie's older sister Kalani.

Kalani is a very nice person. She's like the big sister I've never had. She's cool and funny. She plays soccer, just like my older brother. That's something those two have in common, both are very dedicated to the sport. Kalani's like the girl version of my older brother except she's way nicer. 

She smiles at me. "Hey Haz, Katie's been waiting on you. Our parents aren't home and I'm leaving so you guys don't do anything stupid okay?"

"Where are you going this early?" I ask noticing she's all dressed up

"I'm going on a date." She says

"You're leaving us alone? Are you sure that's a good idea?" I ask her

"I thought about it and decided yeah, why not?" She shrugs

"Don't you wanna hang out with us cool kids?" I say, making my lips a pout.

She smirks. "As much as I would like to hang out with my little sister and her best friend and catch up on the latest gossip, I would way more like to go on this date."

"Who takes someone out on a date this early in the morning?" I ask looking up at the sun

"The person I'm going on a date with." She says taking a selfie of herself with her phone.

"Where are you going for the date?" I ask. I have to admit, I'm a little suspicious.

"Well Miss. Investigator I'm going to a cafe." She says

"Do I know where this cafe is?"

She looks at me with her head tilted sideways. "You know what, at first I didn't get how you and my sister were friends but now I do. You guys are the exact same."

"You never know what could happen." I state

"I've been letting you guys watch too many true crime stories." She says shaking her head

I shrug. "Just saying"

"I have to go before I'm late. You two have fun and don't cause too much trouble." She says walking down the steps of the porch. She stops on the third one and turns back around. "Also, I'm supposed to be watching you guys so if my parents call to check on us tell them I'm in the shower. Okay, that's it. Bye." She says and gets in her car and drives off.

I wave goodbye and head into the house. We get to have the whole house to ourselves. I wonder what Katie has planned for us to do.