8

Walking into the karate dojo I see others getting ready. Most kids are still arriving. I go in the cubby  corner and put my stuff down. I take out my Gi and head to the locker room to put it on.

"Girls, I heard that the older boys are going to be practicing with us again today." One of the girls says excitedly

"Yes!" Another one says

Since sensei is in the hospital, Ed has decided that it would be easier to have everyone practice at the same time. Most of the older kids are in the higher classes. The higher classes train later in the afternoon and stay longer. There's not many kids who stay so it's more to focus on building your techniques and learning more difficult karate moves.

Most of the girls who go here are my age but I don't usually see them. They train with the lower class. Even though I'm young sensei has allowed me to join the higher class.

I walk out of the locker room after changing and go to join my usual group on the floor to stretch. We sit in a circle. There are four of us. Me, Mia, John, and Ed. We're all part of the higher group. 

"Ed, you have to figure out a better strategy for running class. I can't stand these kids." John says

Ed frowns. "What's wrong with them?"

"They're creeps. I was fixing my Gi the other day and they were staring at me. Like in a creepy way." John says

Mia shrugs. "Stare back."

"Nope. Not doing that." John says shaking his head

"Whatever. unless you have a good idea then this is how it's gonna be." Ed says

"We should try something new." John says. He looks at me with a playful smile. "You've been quiet."

"There's nothing for me to say." I tell him. I spread my legs out into a split, pulling my back leg towards me. 

"After we're done stretching, I call fighting Hazel first." John says

"Well you're in luck because we're done stretching." Ed says standing up

We follow his action and walk over to the other kids. 

Ed claps his hands together. "Alright let's start. Split up into three groups."

We look at him. "What are you doing Ed?" John whispers

He offers John a smile. "Trying something new."

John glares at him. "Oh, you're so funny."

After they're done splitting into groups Ed turns to us. 

"Here's what we're going to do. Mia is going to take one group, I'm going to take one group, and John and Hazel will take the other group. In the group you're gonna tell them something about karate. And then demonstrate and let them try it."

"Do we have to?" John asks

"Yes" Ed says and then he turns around. He tells each group where to go. Me and John get the group with the most girls, much to John's annoyance.

We walk to different corners of the dojo. John instructs our group to sit in a circle on the floor.

"Okay is everyone ready?" He asks

Once they nod, he continues. "We're going to go over different types of kicks." he looks at me, as if expecting me to continue for him.

"Does anyone know some?" I ask

One kid raises their hand. John points to them allowing them to speak.

"Kickboxing?" This makes everyone laugh

I look at John and his expression matches mine. We can't tell if the kid said it to be funny or if they actually think that's right.

"That's not the type of kicks we're talking about." John says

"Since you guys seem to be confused, we can just learn three today to make it easier." I say and John nods in agreement.

We stand up causing the group to do the same. John demonstrates the front kick, back kick, and the side kick. After that we let them practice for the rest of the time.

Soon enough it's time for them to leave. They head home and the four of us gather back together.

"We'll meet up in an hour." Ed says

We each go our separate ways in the dojo. Our dojo is really big and it has lots of different rooms in it. Each focuses on something different. I head to the meditation room first. 

That room focuses on balance. Keeping balance and structure in your form is very important when doing karate. It's my favorite room because it's always quiet. Sometimes it's nice to be in a place where there's no yelling, hyper people, or anoying brothers. 

I stay in there the whole hour and don't even realize until I check the time. When I do I have five minutes left so I just stay in there.

When we all meet up in the main room of the dojo we do one on one fights to practice for the championship. We tell each other what they can work on after each fight.

Time went by quickly and soon enough four hours did too. Most of the time I walk home but today Cole insisted that he pick me up. I change and gather my stuff before heading out the door with the others.

"Good job today guys." Ed says. He pauses for a moment before speaking again. "I was thinking uh-" He scratches the back of his neck. "If you guys have nothing better to do, would you like to go to the hospital with me to visit my uncle for lunch next Sunday? You guys don't have to if you don't want to."

 "I'll be there." Mia says

"I have nothing better to do, so yeah." John says

"I'll be there also." I say

I haven't seen sensei in weeks. I'm hoping he gets better so he can watch the championship in person. He's never missed one.

Ed nods. "Thanks."

They all get in their cars while Cole pulls up. I get in the passenger seat and Cole starts to drive.

"Did you have fun?" Cole asks me

"Yeah it was any other practice." I tell him

"That's good." he says keeping his eyes on the road. When we reach a stop light he starts to talk again.

"We have to pick up Martin from soccer practice, because his car broke down. After that I have to go to the grocery store." he says

"Why are we going to the grocery store? We have a lot of food at home." I tell him.

"Yeah I know, I was going to make cookies but then I realized that we didn't have unsalted butter. We only had salted and I'm not using salted butter." Cole says

"Okay. I guess. That's fine" I says

Maybe I can get him to buy me something.

(A/N: Sorry if this chapter was confusing)