18

"Madeline. Can I talk to you?" I asked as I knocked on her private hospital door. She nodded and wiped away a tear. She was in a hospital gown now and she had bruises all over her neck.

"You can call me Maddy." She mumbled.

"Ok Maddy. Would you be able to answer some questions for me?"

"Sure." I sat down next to her legs on the bed.

"Where did you get those bruises?" I asked in a soft voice.

"From him."

"The man who abducted you?" She nodded and sniffed.

"Can you tell me what he did to you?" I whispered. She looked at the door and back to me.

"If I do he'll kill me."

"Maddy. He's never going to touch you again. You're never going to see him again. He's locked away where he can never ever get out." I told her.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I promise."

"Well...he put his hand on my neck and um...he forced me down."

"Down where?"

"Onto the bed." A tear fell down her cheek. "Cam I don't wanna think about it."

"It's ok. I promise, I'm right here." She nodded and she reached for my hand. I squeezed her hand and she sat up.

"He would take off my clothes. Like really late at night." I nodded, willing her to go along. I could feel her body tense up so I put my hand on her arm.

"It's ok if you really don't want to say anything."

"No...I want to."

"Ok." I nodded and rubbed her arm.

"He put his finger up to his lips like this." She put her singer up to her lips and said 'shh.' "He covered my eyes but he put something down there." She said, looking down at her legs. "It was um...it was moving really fast. He only did it for a little. But it hurt. I felt something inside of me...even after he stopped." I nodded.

"How often did he do it?"

"Right before he went to bed. Every night." I nodded and her body relaxed. "Is it weird if I tell you that it made me feel better?" I shook my head.

"No, no. It's good that it made you feel better." I told her, continuing to rub her arm. "This is my card." I reached into my pocket and handed it to her. "It has my number and where to reach me. You can call me anytime or show up at my work anytime if you want to talk." She nodded and took the card. "Do you hear me?"

"Yeah. Um...please don't tell anyone what he did." I nodded and gave me a small smile.

"I'm really glad you're ok." I told her. She just nodded and I left the room.

"What happened to her?" Her father asked calmly, chewing on a toothpick.

"She's ok. Just a few bruises." He rolled his eyes and walked away. "Hey. You're daughter just went through something that is going to affect her for the rest of her life. She needs your support."

"Her support left as soon as her mother died." He threw his toothpick in the trash and walked away. I turned to JJ who just shook her head. I walked towards her and we walked out of the hospital together.

"What did she say?"

"He raped her. Every night. He did it every night." I said angrily while fighting back tears.

"It's ok. She's safe now."

"I know it's just so sick." I sat down in a bench outside and held my face in my hands. She sat down next to me and put her hand on my back. "I gave her my card and told her she could call me anytime."

"That's sweet."

"I just wanted to give her something. Like what you gave me. A safe place to talk with no judgment." I looked to her and smiled. I sat up and rested my head on her shoulder. She kissed the top of my head and put her arm around my shoulders. "I love you JJ." I relaxed into her and she kissed my head again.

"I love you too."