Chapter 20: Deceptive Truth

━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━

N O W P L A Y I N G

» [ Truth or Dare - Emily Osment ] «

0:02 ─〇──────── 3:02

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━

───── ❝ R U B Y F R I D A Y ' S P O V ❞ ────

║ Gregorian Calendar ║ 01 - 08 - 2027 ║

║ Friday║ 2nd Midnight ║

The sinister atmosphere in the room seems to grow longer and darker with each passing minute. Hushed whispers and muffled giggles fill the air, as my nervous glances and the flickering glances of lights I am perceiving gave me an exchanged of fear around the table.

Yet, no matter what I do, I knew deep inside me a raised awareness of the fact that I had willingly walked into this situation where my deepest secrets could be pried from me, my darkest desires manipulated. 

So, this was all on me. Again.

A wrong turn for me, again.

These just means that I had walk through a scene where there would be no escape for me once the game began, and no way to refuse a truth or dare handed down from on high land.

With these thoughts wildly creeping up on my veins, the room feels like a trap now, one I am unsure I will be able to escape from with my soul intact. But it is too late now. I took that first step forward, and now I must see this through to whatever dark end awaits. 

I can only hope I am strong enough to pay the price. 

The card dealer's eyes scan the room before landing on me, and I feel a wave of dread as I realize I may be the first to draw a card that will expose my darkest truths or force me into a shameful dare.

"So, to give you a brief overview of tonight's rules... Ms. Fridays," the card dealer begins in a low tone, undeniably hiding a grin in her face, "As you can see, unlike the situation on the first game night, this specific night is not intended for public viewing. Which means that all the truth and dares that may be given for each individual students are shrouded in secrecy and will only be kept within yourself and me — the card dealer,"

Ominous chill runs down my spine at the her words. The grins on the her face in front of me take on an unsettling edge. Her seemingly innocent smiles betray her darker intentions, wicked curiosity and a thirst for transgression — at least for this night.

I automatically glance nervously at the space around me the moment the dealer's hands hover over the deck of cards. 

With it, I mentally brace myself for whatever scandalous task or exposure may come next, dealt from those ominous cards and revealed under this dim, shadowy light. The air feels thick with secrets yet to be spilled and deeds yet to be done, all hidden behind a thin veil of normalcy. 

The time in the corners of the room seemed to lengthen as the implications of her words sunk in. The card dealer clearly said that everything that happens and is revealed within these walls would remain strictly within these walls, shrouded in secrecy.

But even with that ruled out statements, why do I feel like something's not right? 

It was as if despite her assurances, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss.