Chapter 8: The Stonemasker's Hall

━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━

N O W P L A Y I N G

» [ After Dark - Na Yoon Sik, Park Sejun ] «

0:00 ──────── 2:13

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━

───── ❝ R U B Y F R I D A Y ' S P O V ❞ ────

A hazy fog blanketed the darkness, its mysterious tendrils whisp-ing past me as I stood in the doorway of the infirmary. Yet, as my mind was dancing in it's own reverie, the nurse's voice seemed to cut through the thick air, signaling the next step of my journey. 

"Keep that path straight ahead, and you'll soon reach your destination," she said, her words both ominous and inviting.

My thoughts were scattered as she spoke so it took me a good damn moment to comprehend her directions.  As I digested her words, it quickly became clear that she was referring to the Stonemaskers Hall — the place that would be my lodgings for the remainder of my stay here to the academy. 

Squinting my eyes through the tinted doorframe of the room I am in, I was able to see what she was pointing at. The path that she cautions for me was a way of darkness and cold haze, lined with shadows and tall trees that seemed to creaked and spoke in strange voices.

My curiosity gnawed away at me like a ravenous beast. I hesitated, wondering if I should ask the nurse if there was another way to get through the hall. Yet, before I could even fully form the question, and before I could even catch her shadow walking away, she vanished thinly into my sight leaving only my belongings to a steel tray beside me, alone with my thoughts.

I bent to pick up my things, as the nurse's retreating footsteps fading until an unnerving silence settled on the my room. As I stood there, one foot inside the corridor, a deep trepidation seized me. 

I felt a chill run down my spine as I thought of what darkness lurked under the threshold I was soon to cross. That made me hesitant to tread those path, but something strange inside me told me to keep going, despite a sense of fear that engulfed me. I gulped down my fear and started unlocking the door of the infirmary, with thoughts of, "why should I be afraid?" ringing in my ear.

That's right, Ruby. I whispered to my self. There's nothing for me to be hesitant for, since in the first place I was only here to seek a shelter and temporary refuge, and perhaps some knowledge that I would use to help me protect my secret and keep them safe.

My destiny lay ahead, and I knew I must be ready to answer its call. And so, feeling a sense of pride, I braced my cold hands once again and prompted these to open the tinted glass gates. 

When the door clicked and unlocked, a shiver of damp air ran through my hair as I took in my new surroundings, the heavy scent of the fog teasing my senses. 

"Okay, here goes nothing again," Taking a deep breath, while gathering my strength, I ventured forth into the dark and mysterious path. I inched forward slowly but surely as I began to traverse the winding path. The eerie atmosphere only seemed to intensify as I walked, my footsteps echoing throughout the night time.

Mischief was embedded in the air as I trudged on, as if I was about to unravel a secret of some sort. My heart skipped a beat, as I continued onwards, entering a place completely unknown to me. I had no idea what mysteries would unfold as I ventured further, but I was determined to find out.