33.

Roel
As soon as Verelli's message comes through I carefully slide away from Maria and get dressed. She's so peaceful sleeping without other peoples shit burdening her. And I'm a fully fledged creep who can't peel my eyes off her as I pull on a black t shirt. Reaching for me she hits empty space and her lashes flutter. "Ro?" The soft sleep filled voice nearly pulls me back to her but the job is too important. Keeping my steps silent, I stroke her hair back and kiss her forehead while there's no blood on my hands. "Go back to sleep engjëlli. I've got some work before we leave in the morning." Like my presence alone soothes her she falls back into peace before I've finished speaking.
Antonio Guerra is a piece of shit who likes to gamble. Unfortunately for him, he overplayed his hand by raising it to Maria. It's the dead of the night so the drive back to Salerno takes half the time and I find him stumbling out of a casino, the door man one of Don Vito's man tips his head respectfully. I wasn't going to ruin my time with Maria by wasting a fucking second on this piece of shit but it needs to be done before we go home. The next time we come to Italy, none of the fuckers will approach her.
Following him through the streets he goes about his route home unaware like a fucking imbecile. When he stops at an alleyway to piss I take the opportunity and wait until his dirty dick is put away before grabbing my dear brother in law. There's no fight in him against someone he doesn't perceive as weaker and he falls into the trunk easily.
The calm I usually feel before inflicting violence doesn't come instead rage keeps burning brighter remember how my angel had a red print on her face and didn't react. It was the norm to her, being a punching bag for the prick who's shouting and banging as I drive to the port.
Vito's man are militant as we pass them into the zone he's given me. Keeping the politics was something I didn't give a fuck about but I won't risk Maria's safety by pissing off the 'Ndrangheta here. Coming to an abrupt stop the thud from the back of the car brings a smile to my face.
Getting him out has the fight coming back into him and it's almost laughable when he tries to throw a punch and misses. Swiping his legs out from under him, I pick him up by his hair and drag him across the dirt. "Come on brother in law, we both know you only beat on women." There's no humour in my voice and he still struggles like it will make a difference.
"She'll never be yours, Rizzo has wanted her since she was 15." The smug voice has bile rising in my throat. Dropping him into the dirt, he screams covering the sound of his bones breaking from the force of my boot in his ribs. "Maria is mine. I'd tell you pass on a message but we both know you're not leaving here you sick fuck." He's still crying holding his side as I deliver his eulogy.
Taking the knife from my pocket, I bring him to stand and keep it hidden in my other fist. "Did she cry when you put your fucking hands on her?" There's no hiding my anger and he snivels shaking his head. "That's because you're a weak little bitch." As if agreeing with me could save his life, Antonio nods like a bobble head with snot bubbling out of his nostrils. He's so fucking pathetic it's not even worth my time. Not when my wife is in our bed alone. Ending the fuck I watch as red flows down his neck and colours his shirt.
If I didn't care about Maria seeing my hands he'd be a bloody beaten mess but she doesn't deserve seeing that shit. Pushing him into the transport box Vito's men marked, I go back to Maria.

She's still sleeping as the sun comes up, adorably hugging my pillow and I don't disturb her. Maria must be exhausted after I fucked her on every surface available to make sure she'd stay asleep while I was gone. Without opening her eyes she mumbles. "Stop staring at me like a weirdo." Sitting beside now she's awake I kiss her cheek and deflect from my creepy habit. "I didn't know angels drool."
Her eyes snap open and Maria tries to discreetly check her mouth. Seeing it's dry she pushes me and lays her head on my thigh. "I don't drool." There's no sleep in her voice and she hugs me closer. She's so needy and sweet. I fucking love this woman. My heart races at the thought out of nowhere, I care for Maria and would give her anything she wanted but this isn't love.
I've seen the aftermath of love, how it turns you wicked and kills you inside. My father loved my mother enough to go mad without her. And despise the last act she ever did, giving birth to me. But I wouldn't hate anything about Maria, so it can't be love. I'm just confusing shit trying to find a name for what I can't explain.
Pushing the thought away, I fall back on the topic in my wheelhouse and tilt angels face up to me. Keeping my voice low she leans in like I'm telling a secret. "You do, I've seen you drool around my dick plenty of times." There's nothing but desire on her face but I don't act on it. She needs nourishment before I can fuck her again.
Sitting up Maria straddles me wanting to act out whatever list is playing with her body. Exercising control I didn't know I had, I stand with her in my arms and walk onto the upper terrace. It's her favourite and she stares at the flowers covering us from the morning sun. For someone who set them on fire she seems to love these ones. Repositions her on my thigh once we're sat down, Maria stares out at the scenery and sighs with longing even though we're still here. "I'm going to miss being here." The sweet kiss on my cheek punctuating her words is better than any other time lips have touched my skin.
Kissing her shoulder I ask the only question that matters to me right now. "You sore angel?" The temptress shakes her head and widens her legs. "Good girl, eat while I make this greedy cunt feel better yeah?" Sliding across my thigh in answer, Maria fits her back to my chest and positions her knees on the outside of mine. The thin silk on her body could be easily ripped off but I love the way she tries to keep the upper half of her body unaffected while she leaks down my hand.
I'm slowly inching up her inner thighs when she gasps and then laughs falling back against me. It's a beautiful sound but not one I want to hear while my hand is between her legs. Holding the coffee cup up, she flicks the foam with her tongue and speaks more to herself. "Only you would put boobs as coffee art." She obviously didn't close enough because they're hers, the same little freckles on her left tit were shown in the foam she's broken.

Maria is curled up at my side scrolling through her phone while we fly home. She didn't want to join the mile high club afraid the flight crew would hear so I'm sat with a hard dick imagining how I'll fuck her once we're home.
Turning rigid she sits up slowly and looks at me with glassy eyes. "Roel, is this you?" It comes out as a whisper filled with pain and I look at her screen feeling all the blood drain out of my body. The headline is meant to sell, profit off other people's worst memories like fucking savages.

Chief of police Declan Monroe: Saviour or Suspect as pictures released of unnamed child with severe injuries.

The picture below is of my back, I was eight years old and it's from one of my fathers parties where I served as their fucking entertainment. I didn't even know they documented but why wouldn't they, the sick fucks got off on beating a child. My back tingles seeing the mottled skin without the ink covering it. Old burns and scars mixing with the fresh ones of the night.
Anger robs my voice and angel can guess the answer. Crawling into my lap she hugs me and voices what I can't. "I hope he fucking dies. The bastard doesn't deserve any mercy and the person who wrote that article is just as bad. They're trying to say he helped you." My laugh is bitter at the insinuation Monroe could help anyone other than himself.
The article must be gaining traction because Erion's name flashes across my screen. I don't move Angel from my lap and answer knowing how the conversation is going to go. "Are you back in New York son?" The only two people who called me that were Sebastianu and Erion. Biology gave me a father who resented my existence but, life gave me a family who let me be who I want. My voice is surprisingly steady as we both avoid the reason for his call. "Not yet. Got an hour until we touchdown."
I can imagine Niko stood beside his desk asking him to make me stay like when we were kids as the silence comes through. The heavy sigh on the other end is the first sign of his discomfort and Erion rips the bandaid off. "You've seen the article, if Alistair approaches you I'll deal with it." Teenage gratitude wars with the ego of a grown man inside me. My voice coming out harder than I intended. "I can sort it myself." Softening my tone to add the respect that's due I add. "I'm not a boy anymore."
I owe Niko and Lucky a lot for bringing Erion and Sebastianu into my life. Without them two I'd still be with my dickhead father and it was Erion who took me in. No Sicilian blood meant I couldn't join the Stidda even though Sebastianu said it didn't matter. I wouldn't make their lives shit causing infighting when it wasn't needed.
Maria tightens her arms around me as Erion finishes up the call. He might be stepping down from the head of the family but he'll still be able to pull rank and call me in so I agree to the meeting tomorrow. The rest of the flight is spent in silence and my angel doesn't let me go.
As soon as we get in the car Niko and Lucky's messages come through. They're like old women checking on the local orphan all concerned. Before I can mute the the notifications, Maria pulls on my hand and gives me a soft smile. Looking between my phone and my eyes she keeps her voice soothing. "They care about you, we all do."
Kissing the back of her hand because I don't know how to explain that I don't how to explain what's in my head, she doesn't make me and settles back in her seat. The drive home is silent and feels longer than usual, we should have fucking stayed in Furore away from the world. But the dick won't step a foot in New York after he left. He's never been back since and won't do any business here so it's the best place to be.