17.

Maria
Roel being rich, filthy stinking rich, doesn't make him more attractive. It's how he wears that wealth hidden beneath everything he is that does. It's not his get out jail free card, something he can pull out and flash in everyone's face telling them he's entitled to more. It's his quiet safety net allowing him to walk the tightrope of life with that smile on his face. It's everything I'm working for and it may not be given to me but I don't think Roel even gives a fuck about the money.
He's never spoken about his family, I've heard snippets from Francesca to never bring them up and Eden mentioned that he mentioned his sisters in the past tense. The sadness in his eyes when he mentioned his mother and grandparents in the same manner made that little part that softened in the morning grow wider.
Stroking his hands up my arms trying to warm me I soften more. The alien parasite jumped from him to me and now I'm the one being weird. Roel taps my thigh, his voice coming out in a vulnerable whisper. "Watch a movie with me?" I'm too relaxed and my lips tip up in a smile that feels genuine.
Taking that as my answer he presses his lips into my cheek and lifts us both. I feel like I'm stood on top of the world, I'm not trying to hide anything and just letting it go for once in my life. It's easy to hide who you are when you can keep the masks in place and replenish you energy away from people. Living with Roel doesn't allow for the recharge and I'm sick of being exhausted.
He doesn't throw me on the sofa when we get inside, his hands are gentle sitting me down and rearranging the blankets that's come loose. Not leaving any space between us, Roel's thigh brushes mine as he sits and queues up a movie. I'm not paying attention to whatever he's picked, the moment feels intimate and has nerves coursing through me.
My mistake is not choosing because he picks a clown horror movie, it's creepy as fuck and the bastard thing keeps flickering in different places on the screen.
The sun has set so the only light comes from the screen I'm trying not to watch. When it moves closer jumping out I scream and flinch screwing my eyes shut. The dickhead next to me just laughs and pulls me into his side. "Don't worry Angel, it's not real." Elbowing him in the ribs he laughs harder.
I can watch any gory movie and the blood won't bother me, psychological thrillers are fine but clowns and jump scares are my line. "If I have nightmares I'm going to put snakes in your bed." I don't think he hears my threat but when the chest I'm leaning against shakes I know he did. "I'll protect you, engjëlli." There's a soft pressure against my head and I freeze with the nerves coming back.
My body fills with anticipation as the shadows move across the screen and I'm sure there's someone stood behind me. The clown coming to life ready to eat me whole and drag my soul out of me. Pressing further into Roel's chest I keep opening one eye when I feel like I'm brave. Quickly snapping it shut when I can feel that sinister presence again a scream rings out my own joining it as something grabs my leg.
Trying to kick out of its hold a booming laugh rings out and my body shakes from the force of it leaving the asshole I'm leaning against. Kicking harder knowing it's Roel I try to make it hurt but he lets go of my limb. Getting out of his hold I storm off shouting over my shoulder. "That's not funny."
His annoying laugh gets louder following me until I stupidly lock myself in my dark room. I want to run back out and say there's safety if we stay together but stubbornness makes me stop. It's just a movie, it's not real. The clown was possessed and people can't get possessed from a costume.
Pressing my ear against the door I wait to hear the jingles like they're following me. When Roel's steps come closer and his door opposite clicks shut I relax. It will kill him first and I'll have time to escape.
Getting into bed I try not to think of the clown, the only other thoughts are my family. I'm mentally stuck between two evils but at least one of them is made up, the other have the power to hurt beyond chewing on flesh on bone.

Roel is sat beside me and my parents come into the dining room. His hand on my thigh trying to infuse me with strength I don't feel and when Antonio walks in behind them I want to run. His fingers dig in tighter at my brothers presence like he can sense the violence that sits under his skin.
No one speaks, everyone sat in silence staring straight ahead like there's no one else hear. The somber mood changes as an tingle works up my spine, the urge to run getting louder. Trying to get Roel's attention, my hand touches my own thigh. My fingers going through his but I can still feel his touch.
Rather opens his mouth to say something but no words come out. His teeth rotting as his jaw stretches wider and his face morphing into the bleeding clown face. Mother does the same and then Antonio comes into view behind them with the same face.
Roel doesn't move and every time I try to touch him my hands flow through his body. "It's ok Angel, I'll protect you." His voice is robotic and he doesn't look at me. I'm screaming but no sound comes out and the harder I try to pull him up with me the more quicker my hand passes through his body like he's not there.
My family throw themselves across the table and I bring my arms up protectively. There are tears streaming down my face and the hand holds me tighter until it disappears and I blink to darkness.
My heart is beating wildly, threatening to escape its fate and my face is wet. The dark making it harder to breath and the silence letting my mind make up sounds that aren't there. When I hear the jingle I jump up so fast I nearly smash my face on the ground.
Fighting the sheets wrapped around my ankle I run out of the room and bang on Roel's door. I don't know if it's open or if he's there but if I'm going to die because of him, I'm dragging him down with me.
The door rips open violently and Roel points a gun over my shoulder, his hand cupping the back of my head and pulling me to his side. He fucking heard it to why else would he have a gun. My tears come faster and I feel like I can't breathe. We're going to fucking die because of a ghost in fancy dress.
"I don't want to die." I croak, my voice stuttering with the force of trying to breathe. Guiding me into the room Roel doesn't let go of me until the door is kicked shut and he cups my face. Swiping the tears that refuse to stop with his thumbs, I can see blurry jade staring at me with worry and confusion. He's bent down so we're eye level and I blink away the tears blurring my vision.
Roel's voice breaks through my panic. "You're not going to die, what happened?" Holding his wrists to ground myself, I breath through my emotions and speak slow not wanting my words to come out mumbled. "They attacked us and you wouldn't move." It doesn't make sense to him, the crease between his brows getting deeper.
Not wanting more of my confusing explanation Roel pulls me to his chest and wraps his arms around me. "No one will attack you as long I'm next to you. I've got you angel." He whispers into my and holds me tighter. I can't speak but the panic is lessening, my sleep dragging me back down now that I feel safe.
Roel doesn't say anything else, my arms and head slipping against him as I drift off while standing. Kissing my temple he strokes down my back and I hold on tighter not wanting to feel the panic again. "Come on, let's go to bed." I nod but don't move, if I go back to that dark room it'll all come back.
Picking me up by the back of my thighs I wrap around him like a koala and rest my head against his shoulder as Roel walks towards his bed. He can't lay down with how I'm wrapped around him and sits up against the headboard his gun laying on the nightstand within reach has me relaxing further and my eyes close knowing he'll protect me.

Roel
Any wish I had to see Maria crack feels like it's been turned on me. Tears, begs and cries are a usual occurrence in the life but hers burn me. The pool collecting on my chest physically hurts. I know she's safe there's no one outside and she had a bad dream but I stay watching over her like I can crawl into her mind and guard her from any harm. Even if it's imagined.
Protectiveness like I've never experienced before fills me as Maria sleeps against me. If someone tried to take her out of my arms I'd scream she's mine and refuse to let go. Her tears have tried but the spot they touched on my skin still burns.
Calling her an Angel started as a joke, something said in jest because of how she was dressed. But she is, there's so much good in her that she feels the pain of everything deeper. The only way she can deal with it is by shutting everything off. My angel couldn't even threaten me with heat in her words, it's that divinity inside of her that she guards because us mortals aren't worthy. Without realising she's added me to her army and I'll protect that good inside of her with my life.
The sun comes up and I cover her eyes so she can get more rest and not be disturbed. Maria fidgets in my hold and I loosen my arm around her as she slowly blinks awake. Keeping my voice low I press my lips into her temple punctuating my words. "Morning angel, how you feeling?" Her eyes go wide and she looks around the room trying to get her bearing. When the night comes back to her, she buries her face in my neck and I want her to stay there forever. "I had a nightmare and ran to you like I'm a child." The words are mumbled as she speaks to herself and shakes her head like it's a bad thing.
Holding angel's nape I gently pull her back so I can see into those blue eyes and my features feel soft and unnatural. "You can always run to me. If you're scared, don't want to be alone or anything at all, come to me." She looks between my eyes judging the sincerity of my words, there's no deceit in them. We might have been moving around each other for years and Maria doesn't really get close to the others. I've heard their conversations, she's always there for everyone else but purposefully leaves herself alone. Ajla lived in Italy for years and doesn't even know her parents names and only met Maria's sister because she was pregnant.
Resting back against me, Maria looks up with confusion colouring her face. "Why are you being nice to me?" The vulnerability in her quiet voice pisses me off. I'm not being nice I'm being human, what kind of cunts has she been around that would look at someone's tears and ignore them. Keeping the emotion out of my voice, I answer easily. "You're my wife, it's my job." The confusion settles deeper into her features and she shakes her head. "It's not a real marriage, Roel."
I'm not focusing on the rest of her words only the fact she said my name. I've heard Maria scream my name when she climaxed but she's never once addressed me by it. "Say it again." I'm staring at her lips waiting to see how they curve around the letters so I can memorise it but it's not my name that comes out. "This isn't real. You don't owe me anything."
Holding her left hand up, my tone is harsh proving her wrong. "You wear my ring, carry my name and accepted being my wife. That means it's my job to take care of you." Maria relaxes but I can see her wanting to argue back. "And don't spend Verelli's money anymore, I've already set the trust up from getting married in your name and your card will be here tomorrow."
My grandparents were sentimental old people who left each trust with stipulations for the milestones they would miss. The first was when I turned 18, their way of getting me away from the dick. Then on any important birthdays, marriage, having a child and little ones for dates they felt were important. The trust that I received when marrying Maria has been underwritten in her name. I won't make her put her hand out to me and the money is fucking useless to me, I live off what I've earned with Kadare's. I don't need the tainted bonds, stocks and investments reminding me the only use I had was for them to be put into the hand of a dick who should never have been a father.
Kissing her cheek I savour the feeling knowing she's already going back to being closed off again. "Get up, angel. We've got an appointment at the jewellers." The sparkle in her eye comes out knowing she's getting an upgrade.